A Mindblowing Steak

Many Americans (maybe Italians ?) are not used to the degree meat is cooked in Argentina, which is usually well done, so they might complain about it based on that. They are just not sophisticated meat eater, you can still have a great steak if it's well done. That's why beef with some kind of bone is better, it's well done, but the meat is still tender, the bone takes more burning. Besides, you are guaranteed to have diarrhea if you steak is cooked rare in Argentina.

My uncle keeps asking for a T-bone steak - my asado book translates it as Bife angosto con lomo - which I have never seen on a manu.
He is stubborn and old and wants to eat to same cut(s) he is used to for a comparison. There is no tira de asado or matambre or entraña in Italy.
I went looking for a ojo de bife at my carniceria but they NEVER have it, instead they give be a bife de chorizo, which sometimes is yummy, and others nothing special.

He tried bife de chorizo at a restaurant, but I believe he was expecting something one inch thick. He said he had better meats in the US in random places. :eek:
To be honest, the places we tried were not mind blowing.

I will note the places mentioned on this thread. Thanks!

A chef suggested me this place: MARUCHA, I think he said they are actually Uruguayans.

Your uncle's problem is that he is trying to find something that isn't good here. I don't go to Italy and ask for some dish you'd only find in New Jersey and then complain it's not what I wanted.

I so agree with you, but Italians are like the biggest PITAs ever.
When in Italy, they complain about Italy.
When abroad, they pretend to find the same things that they have in Italy, for a fraction of the price. When they don't find them, they go on trying to teach the locals "how things should be done" (the Italian way, of course).

You should have seen the situations I faced with the various family and friends who have been visiting me since November. I can't stand Italians, that is the main reason why I moved here, but they keep chasing me.

Please laugh, 'cause I have been crying only!

When my friends were here, they asked to eat a true Argentinian dinner, so I took them to a parilla. When there, one of them said she was having a chorizo only because "that is what she eats in Italy and knows" (you fly 12.000 km to eat the same thing you have home?!), then has a big salad. I ask her "why are you having only a chorizo and salad if you asked to eat an Argentine dinner? Why don't you order some meat?" and she shrugged... I thought she was feeling unwell, but at the second parilla we went to, she was having the "chicken" because "she is trying to become a vegetarian", so I said "What kind of vegetarian eats chicken?! If you really have to break the rules, break it for the best cuts, not the scrappy ones". So I gave her a small piece of my bife the chorizo, and she ate it like I gave her poo. And then spit it out hoping I wouldn't catch her.
...after two days she bought 10 leather belts for her and her vegetarians friends... (so it is okay to kill for fashion but not for food?)
At Pani she asked the waitress "How are your french fries done?! Because last time I ordered them they brought me terrible fries covered in eggs..." (missy, you ordered "papas a caballo" last time...)

Or when my uncles enter shops saying out loud BUONGIORNO followed by "sono un turista italiano" (I am an Italian tourist) expecting people to praise him for that. Or when he is convinced he was given a fresh cut of cheese (instead of the already cut one) "because they know we Italians are exigent on quality" (with "they" he mans "the world").
Or my aunt who took newspaper from my building hall saying "Let's read the local news", backed by my uncle saying "We have to keep up with the local news" and then once in my apartment, my uncle said "What's that number on the cover?!" and I said "The number of the apartment where the subscriber lives" and they said "SO WE STOLE THEIR NEWSPAPERS?!" and I replied "Of course, what do you expect? People throwing newspapers for free in building halls?! Do they do this in Italy?!" and then said "Well, no. You are right, we will return them" (they are still in their room, by the way).
Or when at dinner at my husband's family place my uncle said "I know in some culture they eat salad as a starter, but where I came from/in my home it has always been eaten at the end of the meal". You are not in Italy and you are not at home, simply say "I'll have that later".

And I have other friends arriving in 4 days... Will I ever be homesick? I have been away for 9 months and the last place I want to fly to is Italy.

I second the vote for the Brigada. The waiters actually cut one of the steaks with a spoon , it is so tender

I so agree with you, but Italians are like the biggest PITAs ever.
When in Italy, they complain about Italy.
When abroad, they pretend to find the same things that they have in Italy, for a fraction of the price. When they don't find them, they go on trying to teach the locals "how things should be done" (the Italian way, of course).

You should have seen the situations I faced with the various family and friends who have been visiting me since November. I can't stand Italians, that is the main reason why I moved here, but they keep chasing me.

Please laugh, 'cause I have been crying only!

I am laughing! Between the Italian side of your family and the Argentine in-laws you sound like your life could be the set up for a sitcom!

At least one thing you can find in Argentina is some good wine -- sounds like you will need to treat yourself to some!

I am laughing! Between the Italian side of your family and the Argentine in-laws you sound like your life could be the set up for a sitcom!

At least one thing you can find in Argentina is some good wine -- sounds like you will need to treat yourself to some!

I'll keep the wine to myself, they complain about that, as well. Cheers!

My uncle keeps asking for a T-bone steak - my asado book translates it as Bife angosto con lomo - which I have never seen on a manu.
He is stubborn and old and wants to eat to same cut(s) he is used to for a comparison. There is no tira de asado or matambre or entraña in Italy.
I went looking for a ojo de bife at my carniceria but they NEVER have it, instead they give be a bife de chorizo, which sometimes is yummy, and others nothing special.

He tried bife de chorizo at a restaurant, but I believe he was expecting something one inch thick. He said he had better meats in the US in random places. :eek:

Once he is back in Italy, looking back, he will like the beef here, no worries. :)

Bife con lomo can be found at carnecerias and grocery stores around the city.

Ojo de bife is bife ancho without the cap and the bone. You should be able to get bife ancho in almost every carneceria

Back