A Mindblowing Steak

Girino

Registered
I have guests here who are not at all pleased with Argentine meat. They said they were expecting something different. Of course they make the comparison with the best Italian fiorentina, but I'll be damned if they go back home saying Argentinian beef is not much of a big thing.

We have been pretty unlucky with the timing (most restaurant I like are closed for vacation), and my usual carniceria has been inconsistent with their meat quality. I can't sure try a parilla a day, so I would like to go to a sure bet.

We went to Los Talas del Entrerriano and to A raja cincha since we are in San Isidro, however I would consider also something in Belgrano/Zona Norte.

I want a place and a name (of the best cut you had there)! B)

If you find the mind blowing Argentine steak anywhere, please let me know, as it has been eluding me for years.
Actually, if you find ANY mind blowing food anywhere in BA, even if it is just popcorn, please let me know right away.

Establo still has good cuts. I like the lomo. I've been going these for over a decade. Always good. There are two types of lomo cuts on the menu - one is like a filet mignon, which I don't like and can't stand it when it is mariposa.

The other is the whole lomo. The long piece just like you'd get from the butcher also known as beef tenderloin in the US. They grill it to perfection. Have it with the papas espanolas and I typically have an arugula with shaved parmigiano. Pure calabaza is also good. And the provoleta is fn tasty too.

Let me know... their vacation is typically right around now... so check before you go.

Sucre is in Belgrano, and, while they are not a parilla per se, they cook a pretty mean bife.
I have never had a bad meal there.
http://www.sucrerestaurant.com.ar/cocina.html

Rib eye in Las Lilas in Puerto Madelero is great, but lomo or other meat is OK.
The appetizer platter was a little bit mind blowing in Argentina with such nice fresh fish and 5 different freshly baked bread. This is not a tourist trap, locals go there a lot too. There are things in Argentina that blow my mind, usually they are not food, let's put it this way :)

Many Americans (maybe Italians ?) are not used to the degree meat is cooked in Argentina, which is usually well done, so they might complain about it based on that. They are just not sophisticated meat eater, you can still have a great steak if it's well done. That's why beef with some kind of bone is better, it's well done, but the meat is still tender, the bone takes more burning. Besides, you are guaranteed to have diarrhea if you steak is cooked rare in Argentina.

Back