A New Low........i Have Heard It All Now....................

Kate101

Registered
Ok Guys, to the best of my abilities. Please do not chop my head off. This is awful/excellent crazy stuff about this life. Word to the wise.

I met these great gals tonight that are late 20’s early 30’s and listen to what happened to them. First, they are down here as seasoned teachers on a free ride from Obama for a few months. They are not the typical kids in hostels.

On their way here a man next to them (across the row) started a conversation. They were nice but not responsive. When they landed they were taken from the flight to immigrations where they were accused of stealing $3000 USD from him. Searched and threatened….. Yes, the immigrations office is in on this! Immigrations searched them from head to toe....Threatened them to go to jail or prison, but luckily they had very little cash on them (not $ 3000 dollars).

Has Argentina sank to a new low? If they had the cash how could they could defend themselves….Joe, please make a poll….

Again these are not mature gals but not students… I am enjoying BA but do not hurt my sisters……
Now I understand the corruption u so often talk about…How Shi**y is this……..

That's just the tip of the iceberg, I've lived through corruption first hand......www.escrachados.com
There is corruption in every country, including the US, but for some reason I never felt it like I did here. I think the difference is in the US they go after the big guys who have lots of $$$, whereas here they go after the little, medium, big...whomever they can!

Ok Guys, to the best of my abilities. Please do not chop my head off. This is awful/excellent crazy stuff about this life. Word to the wise.

I met these great gals tonight that are late 20’s early 30’s and listen to what happened to them. First, they are down here as seasoned teachers on a free ride from Obama for a few months. They are not the typical kids in hostels.

On their way here a man next to them (across the row) started a conversation. They were nice but not responsive. When they landed they were taken from the flight to immigrations where they were accused of stealing $3000 USD from him. Searched and threatened….. Yes, the immigrations office is in on this! Immigrations searched them from head to toe....Threatened them to go to jail or prison, but luckily they had very little cash on them (not $ 3000 dollars).

Has Argentina sank to a new low? If they had the cash how could they could defend themselves….Joe, please make a poll….

Again these are not mature gals but not students… I am enjoying BA but do not hurt my sisters……
Now I understand the corruption u so often talk about…How Shi**y is this……..
This is the 3rd time I have heard of this scam. The first was about 9 months ago.

I had already stopped bringing cash because of other reasons - home breakin - misplacing it - previous tenant with keys, etc.

This is one more reason not to bring cash.

I use Xoom instead. There are other services available for our Europats.

Thanks for posting this Heads-Up!

I havent tried xoom yet. There seem to be very mixed reviews of the service, and I always worry about hacking and identity fraud. Maybe someone could write up a 'how to' on using xoom so we could all share best practices and good pickup locations?

I havent tried xoom yet. There seem to be very mixed reviews of the service, and I always worry about hacking and identity fraud. Maybe someone could write up a 'how to' on using xoom so we could all share best practices and good pickup locations?

Xoom.com has worked fine for me. I do my pickup at Libertad 1057, near Plaza Libertad, which is the main office of More money transfers, their local partner.

However, I use a card and pay the higher fee rather than give them my account info.

Just be aware they're not open at all on weekends.

Has Argentina sank to a new low?

You will be shocked by what you see/ hear/ experience here. This is more 'old hat' than a 'new low'. I grew up hearing things from my mom (who grew up poor as a live-in maid in Santiago del Estero) and I still was not prepared. That's the downside of living the immigrant American Dream to such an extreme degree, I guess - your kids get to grow up in a place where you can leave the doors unlocked and trust everyone, and will never understand your paranoia and mistrust of others. I get it now!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself last night!

[background=rgb(242, 242, 242)]Kate101,[/background]

How does one more cheap shot at Obama add to the information about shake downs at the airport help expats?

>..... [background=#fcfcfc]First, they are down here as seasoned teachers[/background][background=#fcfcfc] on a free ride from [/background][background=#fcfcfc]Obama[/background][background=#fcfcfc] for a few months.[/background]

It is no ones business why any woman comes down here.

I hope we don’t judge horny Northern Hemisphere women coming down to dance Tango.

[background=rgb(242, 242, 242)]Kate101,[/background]

How does one more cheap shot at Obama add to the information about shake downs at the airport help expats?

>..... [background=#fcfcfc]First, they are down here as seasoned teachers[/background][background=#fcfcfc] on a free ride from [/background][background=#fcfcfc]Obama[/background][background=#fcfcfc] for a few months.[/background]
Someone appears hyper-sensitive about the misfortunes and missteps of their fallen hero.

How is this a free ride from Obama, I am paying for that, and so likely are you. Even if you don't pay taxes in the US the massive dollar creation devalues any you have.

Back