A New Low........i Have Heard It All Now....................

In a plot twist: I am Kate's landlady and was supposed to be out with her at the fateful drinks on Friday night where she met these girls! I said I was too tired and had to be up early and was assured it would be 'only food'. When I saw the time 4:38 am on the original post, I knew we were in for a treat! I enjoy a laugh and a drink (or several) with Kate, even though we are about as different as can be and this is fine. We stick to common ground, of which there is plenty.

My comment about her enjoying her night and also about taking photos of apartments - we might need to go after her last landlord for her deposit - were about that. I have posted this with Kate's approval, of course, having sent it to her first on Skype.

Kate - looking forward for some more drinks and laughs this week now that I've finally been able to rest!

It comes from the ideology of a fantasy novelist whose real-life inspiration was a serial-killer (http://tinyurl.com/mm9hnky) but nevertheless could ignore her own ideology when it proved to her benefit.

Well, I hope Joe is happy.

The "boring" subject of US politics in this thread has been replaced by one expat's apparently incurable obsession with Ayn Rand, and it isn't mine. :D

This entire thread should be truncated for hitting a new low of off-topicness.

This entire thread should be truncated for hitting a new low of off-topicness.

I believe the appropriate term is locked, and I "hate it when that happens" to any thread.

We all have the power to start a thread on any subject we desire or stop following one whenever we make that decision as well.

Yes, the 50 we have officially + Puerto Rico, Southern Florida, Southern California, Southern Texas, way way Northern US - aka Canada, some widdy bitty parts of Afganistan and Iraq ... uh, scratch Iraq. 56.

I expected something like P:R, Guam, and USVI... instead.... Southern Florida? I thought that was little Cuba... and Southern Texas, well, I thought that was part of Mexico now, not a state.

No limit as to how low it can go!! Argentina sets the low as far as corruption goes!:)
i have seen it over and over again.
Since everyone knows here is best to exchange cash so they expect people to come down here with lots of Dollars or Euros. So now they are pulling this to steal some of that gringo money.
Just fight it at the airport. Good luck!!!!!!!!

No limit as to how low it can go!! Argentina sets the low as far as corruption goes!:)
i have seen it over and over again.
Since everyone knows here is best to exchange cash so they expect people to come down here with lots of Dollars or Euros. So now they are pulling this to steal some of that gringo money.
Just fight it at the airport. Good luck!!!!!!!!

You must have not travelled very much.
In countries that are actually corrupt, customs will confiscate your cigs, alcohol, cameras, and other valuables, no receipt, no recourse. They will demand bribes to let you in. Police will arrest you, and demand bribes to release you. Banks will shortchange you, stores will shortchange you, product boxes will be empty. Bags will vanish from your locked hotel room.
Money changers will point you out to theives, as you leave, and get their pesos back, to sell again and again.
And on, and on, and on.
Argentina is not very corrupt at all- with a modicum of street smarts, you can live here for years without getting ripped off- in a real, corrupt country, you pay bribes daily.

Argentina is not very corrupt at all- with a modicum of street smarts, you can live here for years without getting ripped off- in a real, corrupt country, you pay bribes daily.

Bribes are paid daily here in the form of "taxes" or "AFIP Res. XXX".

I'd say on the corruption level of countries I've been to Argentina is near the top, but no worse than Russia, Peru and Brazil.
Argentina isn't Nigeria or Myanmar, but it's also not Germany.

America is corrupt, but on a person to person level not so much, just business buying influence via congress or the like.

Back