A restaurant that has me addicted ( First Time in BA )

mariposa said:
ok, that (the recent postings, my god!!) settles it for me. i am going to check out sipan. sounds good to me!
Take out a small loan before you go, it's very expensive.

I stuck my head in the Sipan in Punta del Este last January. The menu looked great, until I started working out the prices. (Uruguayos take some calculating.) The prices there are probably about 20% to 50% higher than what they are in the BA location, but still... with annual inflation, I'm thinking that there might be some sticker shock.

With Osaka, Sipan, Ceviche, and now Paru (from a former Osaka chef), the Peruvian high end market is taking off. Fortunately the "unique" label is no longer valid. Competition is a good thing when it comes to restaurants. And there might be one or two other restaurants like this as well as tons of mid-range Peruvian places over by Abasto.

And with the increased Asian population in Buenos Aires, even puerta cerrada competition is picking up. Cocina Sunae still has amazing food and is without a doubt the best Asian puerta cerrada in town, but it looks like Casa Mun picked Sunae's brain a bit and is starting his own Pan Asian puerta cerrada soon. That being said, the only crossover there is the Korean cuisine. That will be Mun's focus while it is just a small percentage of Sunae's menu. The competition is much tougher in the Peruvian food world. (At least as far as expat foodies are concerned. Especially if you prefer to remain in the swath from San Telmo to Belgrano... or the Zona Norte.)

Anyone with functioning taste buds can only be happy about the culinary developments in Buenos Aires. There will be a day in the not-too-distant future when people don't even laugh when someone tells them that they are attending culinary school in Buenos Aires.

Bon provecho chicos!

perry said:
Food is definetly improving here in BA with many more choices and more use of spices in the cooking.

I am slowly detecting a changing of the Argentinian palate to tasting the unknown and become more daring in their kitchen.

Yes indeed, actually it changes relentlessly and undetected, when there is a pronounced and rapid immigration influx from neighboring countries and others parts of the world there is a imperceptible but radical change in the cuisine culture among another things in that country.

New tastes, spices and flavors are introduced rapidly changing the food culture forever, the opening and proliferation of ethnic restaurants modify the peoples appreciation as new flavors are introduced, the different ways of food preparations and domestically unknown new products, vegetables, spices, etc. Enhancing positively the culinary elements of that country.

It's also true that as in others parts of the world there is a common denominator in this kind of kitchen behavior as flavors and taste changes, for example in a lapse of say thirty something years there is a pronounced modification in people's palate tastes in the country making their appreciation of the new and different ethnic flavors offered and with that affecting their perspective preferences which also are irreversible modified as new young generations come along.

All those changes are accomplished without affecting the basic order and core of the domestic ancestral kitchen and their cultural food habits as they still eating the same food and condiments as always did but now they have more options and variety on the table, that's why I'm so fascinating interested in reading what a middle and long term foreign resident or migrant have to say on this subject, been there, done that it becomes a review and almost a paper copy of a variety of cases in which by own experience on food, flavors and tastes that already has been experienced, endured and almost conquered.

Perry you must stay put for at least for another twenty something years and then you will be wonder how come that food taste and variety changed so radically almost undetected since you first set foot on the country....:D

Long sentence has been modified to suit Steve mood of the day, as always I try to please everyone do not matter how bad their day is. :p

Lucas said:
Yes indeed, actually it changes relentlessly and undetected, when there is a pronounced and rapid immigration influx from neighboring countries and others parts of the world there is a imperceptible but radical change in the cuisine culture among another things in that country, new tastes, spices and flavors are introduced rapidly changing the food culture forever, the opening and proliferation of ethnic restaurants modify the peoples appreciation as new flavors are introduced, the different ways of food preparations and domestically unknown new products, vegetables, spices, etc. enhance positively the culinary elements of that country its also true that as in others parts of the world there is a common denominator in this kind of kitchen behavior as flavors and taste changes, for example in a lapse of say thirty something years there is a pronounced modification in people's palate tastes in the country making their appreciation of the new and different ethnic flavors offered and with that affecting their perspective preferences which also are irreversible modified as new young generations come along, all those changes are accomplished without affecting the basic order and core of the domestic ancestral kitchen and their cultural food habits as they still eating the same food and condiments as always did but now they have more options and variety on the table, that's why I'm so fascinating interested in reading what a middle and long term foreign resident or migrant have to say on this subject, been there, done that it becomes a review and almost a paper copy of a variety of cases in which by own experience on food, flavors and tastes that already has been experienced, endured and almost conquered.

This is the longest sentence I have ever read.

Thanks to the commas, it actually makes sense.:D

Growing up in Australia in the 60s and 70s food was much much worse than Argentina ever was with no concept of fine dining and no appreciation of wog food as it was called then .

I can remember going to my first chinese restaurant at 10 years old and having sweet and sour pork with a very glutinuous sickly sauce coating the meat but hey it was tastier than the usual fare of meat pies, sausage rolls, or meatloaf with mashed potatoes etc etc.

My mum made me food to take to school and I was made to feel like a freak by the other pupils who never heard of greek food nor of any other foods . But one day it just changed and in the 1980s there was a veritable explosion of new cuisines . Still it took another 10 years for these ideas to become integrated into the Australia kitchen and today I believe that Australia has some of the worlds most innovative chefs.

I am confident that the same will happen here and I feel we are at a cusp of a food revolution in Buenos Aires that will incorporate native ingredients with the tremendous produce that Argentina has. There is a huge market here of diners that eat out regularly and many new restaurants are opening their doors especially peruvian fusian and organic restaurants are more common.

Lucas said:
Long sentence has been modified to suit Steve mood of the day, as always I try to please everyone do not matter how bad their day is.

There's no such thing as a bad day where I live now.:)

Unfortunately, there are no ethnic restaurants, either (not even one in Bahia Blanca).:(

Fortunately, I seriously stocked up in Barrio Chino before I moved here.:D

And I hardly ever eat in restaurants, anyway.:p

Originally Posted by Lucas Yes indeed, .......... and almost conquered.
steveinbsas said:
This is the longest sentence I have ever read.
My guess? Steve, you haven't read any Umberto Eco but Lucas, you enjoy Proust. Go on: prove me wrong.

Thanks for recommendation perry.

The rest of this thread is bonkers and needs a lie down.

jp said:
Thanks for recommendation perry.

The rest of this thread is bonkers and needs a lie down.

Oh no! You missed the really bonkers bits. :D

Seriously dude, give it a rest. Life's far too short.

Back