A Serious Thread About Food In Argentina

I couldn't give a flying choripan that you and your cheerleader don't know who I am and certainly don't find it particularly interesting to know who you are.

All clear? I'm delighted you like taking photos of your lunch tho. Tis great to have a hobby.

I was honestly curious about why people on the forum change their names. I didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities. P.S. That was dinner. :p

I am considering a 2-3 year stay in Argentina, prefer small towns and like to cook my own meals. I am a simple farm boy, so it seems that beef, pork, chicken, and fish with fresh veggies is all that I require. I am hoping that there are farmers markets open year around? When I say small town, I mean fewer than 2,000 people, farm country or fishing village are fine, y yo hablo por la mayor parte. So, I'm looking for a small apartment or house to rent for a year at a time. I would hope that my current driver's license will allow me to drive in the country as well. I am open to lots of advice from expats who are not looking to take advantage of a newbie.... I've been around the block a couple of times, but love new experiences.

I am considering a 2-3 year stay in Argentina, prefer small towns and like to cook my own meals. I am a simple farm boy, so it seems that beef, pork, chicken, and fish with fresh veggies is all that I require. I am hoping that there are farmers markets open year around? When I say small town, I mean fewer than 2,000 people, farm country or fishing village are fine, y yo hablo por la mayor parte. So, I'm looking for a small apartment or house to rent for a year at a time. I would hope that my current driver's license will allow me to drive in the country as well. I am open to lots of advice from expats who are not looking to take advantage of a newbie.... I've been around the block a couple of times, but love new experiences.

I would also like to stay for a longer time in a countryside small town. I've asked on this forum and no one has given a good answer, especially with RE to renting a place longer-term. I'm looking to stay only a few months, but even so, I don't know where you can, though there must be some places.

The problem is that it sucks to go some place and then find out there's no market for temporary rentals or that you need 2 yr contract or a guarantor.

Does anyone know a parilla that is of consistently good quality? I tried Parilla Pena, which everyone recommends here, and I found it to be bad. The meats were flavorful and the price reasonable, but the meats were also tough. I tried tabla de achuras (my favorite thing when I go out) at a place recently, which is usually good, and it was not good. One thing I've found is that parillas no longer put salt on the meat. I find this to be outrageous, especially as, when you ask them why they do this, they say, "oh you can put your own salt on it and we don't know how much salt people like and some people are on a diet." Thanks...by this reasoning, all restaurants are excused from seasoning any of their food at any time. I eat mostly at home now.

There's great food in Argentina, but it may not be very common easy to find. With that said, there is also a lot of bad food in Argentina.

Does anyone know a parilla that is of consistently good quality? I tried Parilla Pena, which everyone recommends here, and I found it to be bad. The meats were flavorful and the price reasonable, but the meats were also tough. I tried tabla de achuras (my favorite thing when I go out) at a place recently, which is usually good, and it was not good. One thing I've found is that parillas no longer put salt on the meat. I find this to be outrageous, especially as, when you ask them why they do this, they say, "oh you can put your own salt on it and we don't know how much salt people like and some people are on a diet." Thanks...by this reasoning, all restaurants are excused from seasoning any of their food at any time. I eat mostly at home now.

Salt is a public health issue. If you ask for salt, restaurants will provide, but I still usually have to remind them not to salt my meat.

As for a good traditional parrilla, try El Trapiche (Paraguay 5099) in Palermo.

Back