Abortion to become legal.....

Once again, the most basic of all human rights is being ignored here. The right to life.

Nonchalant? It makes my blood boil to hear a man give his opinion on a woman's rights. You know nothing about how difficult it is to have an abortion for any woman. It is not a form of birth control. It is a horrible choice no woman should ever have to make. But if that is the choice , it's none of any man's damn business.
But if what you're saying is true, why should I, as a man, have to pay for YOUR choice?

But if what you're saying is true, why should I, as a man, have to pay for YOUR choice?

Because we decide through a representative government (as flawed as it may be) where tax dollars should be spent that will benefit society as a whole.

Why should you have to pay for infrastructure in a part of the country you'll never use? Why should you have to pay for the health care of some poor kid?

You as a man should pay for a women's choice because it makes society more safe.

Maybe you don't agree with the it, but you aren't going to agree with how are all your taxes dollars are spent.

This coming from a man. I certainly hope so. It is a woman's choice, not yours.

This is not true at all as fathers have a right to have a say in this as its their child with their dna . I do not understand why adoption is not a choice to make for those who are undecided . It has much less health effects on the body and the mind .

One would think that after 10+ years on this forum, I would have learned my lesson that posting here (especially on such a controversial topic) is not conducive to one's mental health, but this thread has been swimming around in my head, and I have to put in my two cents here.

Hear me out: I am currently 7 months pregnant with my second baby (a healthy boy). A baby that was conceived in love, in wedlock... and while on birth control. I knew from the moment I saw the 2 lines on the pregnancy test, especially this time around, that this process was not going to be easy. Despite being with my husband/best friend for almost 11 years, having savings and a place to live, supportive family and friends, and everything on paper, choosing every day to go through with both pregnancies has by far been the hardest thing that I have ever done.

Within the course of both pregnancies, to be blunt, I have suffered crippling effects of antepartum depression that left me at different stages without work and actively planning how to "get my affairs in order" to somehow be able to safely hand off a full term baby and then "make myself go away." I have been in a psychiatric ward in my 3rd trimester. I suffered multiple ugly panic attacks before having to become a recluse because I simply could not leave the house anymore. I have put my families (both here and abroad) through hell, because I was "full of life" and also full of shame that I had pretty much lost my mind.

But in the end, in the back of my mind, I knew that it was MY CHOICE to go through with these pregnancies. I was lucky, I knew that in the end, at least I had options.

Not all abortions are the result of reckless, drunken teenage nights of impulsive passion. With the dangerous rhetoric that we are somehow going to "Save Both Lives," we are recklessly f***ing with the health and well being of these two people (or possibly more).

My pregnancies were perfect on paper, despite how hard they have been on everyone. I cannot fathom denying a woman (or worse, a girl) access to a termination if she were the victim of rape, exploitation, mental illness, incest, or for ANY reason. It is barbaric and it is an inhumane, drawn-out torture.

By the way, I have also been able to get my doctor to agree to perform a tubal ligation after the birth, and once again, I am one of the lucky ones. A former co-worker of mine (when in her mid-30s and a type 1 diabetic) had to get her husband's written consent for the same procedure after her 2nd child was born... WTF???

No matter where you stand on the blue/green issue, access to preventative contraception and appropriate sexual education ought to be a no-brainer... but here we are!

BTW - Has anyone ever looked into legally adopting a child here? If you want to talk about sanctimonious bureaucratic hypocrisy at its finest, look no further (but more on that another time)...

You cannot say with a clear conscience that we are going to "Save both lives" and that "Children are the future" if we to not first acknowledge that women and girls who are already here are the present.

I'll just make a prediction here that might save you all a lot of time:

No one on this forum is going to change their mind on abortion due to discussions here.

As you were.

I actually knew a "father" when I was in the UK who did not want his child, left the woman and just didn't pay her anything to raise the child or take part in its life. Like abortion, that was a choice (I don't have a horse in this race so am not saying whether it's a good choice or a bad choice).

I do not understand why adoption is not a choice to make for those who are undecided . It has much less health effects on the body and the mind .

Nonsense. A full-term pregnancy carries many more risks to a woman's health than a simple abortion procedure. And numerous studies have shown that the majority of women do not regret making the choice to terminate a pregnancy and suffer much less than women who give up a child for adoption.

Nonchalant? It makes my blood boil to hear a man give his opinion on a woman's rights. You know nothing about how difficult it is to have an abortion for any woman. It is not a form of birth control. It is a horrible choice no woman should ever have to make. But if that is the choice , it's none of any man's damn business.

The statement that women make the choice to have an abortion casually because it is just an easy form birth control is totally infantilizing and offensive.

And to say there is righteous shame for taking the "easy" way out? What does that even mean? Do you really believe that women should be forced to have children they don't want? Make no mistake, that is exactly at the heart of the anti-choice movement. Control of women's bodies. Letting men off the hook. And ultimately, not assisting in the care of these children once they are born after women are forced to have them. Do you really think we need more children on the planet who don't get the care, nutrition, love, health care and education that they deserve?

Are you going to allow the government to tell you Sergio what you do with the most intimate parts of your body and tell you that you must have children whether you want them or not?

Maybe because, the last time I checked, it takes TWO to tango, a woman AND a man. Why should men be let off the hook entirely? Why should control of an individual's body then only be limited to women? If you get a woman pregnant, or more than one who doesn't want to have a child with you, do you want the government to tell you that you need to have a vasectomy? It's much less invasive than having a baby, isn't it?

Do we really want more unwanted children? I truly don't get it. Good parenting doesn't happen just because you force someone to be a parent.

Back