Abortion to become legal.....

tbh, as an expat, this particular thread doesn't seem appropriate here. Abortion is not as likely an issue that many expats (from the US or Europe, for example) would have to deal with in their day-to-day lives here compared to other social or political or economic issues. That said, I fully support a woman's right to choose and was disappointed that the Argentine Senate rejected the proposed law to decriminalize abortion. Thank God there is always Uruguay! :)

I appreciate your support for a woman's right to choose. And I am also thankful for Uruguay, although many poor women don't have that "choice."

I do think that many of the women on this site are living permanently in Argentina, and therefore they would have to deal with Argentina's arcane abortion laws if they became pregnant unintentionally.

I am shocked and saddened by this Senate vote. Another step backward. I don't know why Argentina keeps shooting itself in the foot on any meaningful steps to join the modern world.

The late Eddie Greenspan - one of Canada's most important defence lawyers and civil liberties advocates of this past generation - wrote of his having pivoted to oppose the right to abortion:

"I find it ironic that many highly liberal people oppose the death penalty in all cases and all crimes, except the crime of inconveniencing a woman. Only this merits the highest penalty".

I am pretty sure the quote wasn't exact, I don't have the book before me now. It is, by the way, a fascinating read for anyone interested in law and/or civil liberties.

That is exactly right. Abortion is a death penalty. Unfortunately the innocent child can not appeal. It is beyond all logic and reason to argue that anyone has the right to take the life of a child.

I appreciate your support for a woman's right to choose. And I am also thankful for Uruguay, although many poor women don't have that "choice."

I do think that many of the women on this site are living permanently in Argentina, and therefore they would have to deal with Argentina's arcane abortion laws if they became pregnant unintentionally.

I am shocked and saddened by this Senate vote. Another step backward. I don't know why Argentina keeps shooting itself in the foot on any meaningful steps to join the modern world.

If they are living permanently in Argentina and read this website they are most likely from a wealthy country like the US or the UK where they can have their child killed in accordance with the law. If they are unhappy with the laws of this country they are free to leave.

You will never understand, Sergio, because you are a man who cannot produce a fetus in a womb. A fetus and a child are not the same. I gave birth twice, and I had an abortion because it was my right to have one.

http://www.thebubble.com/abortion-pill-to-be-produced-in-argentina-will-only-be-sold-to-hospitals/

Men are obligated to pay child support for a child when it is born and it goes without saying that they also should have a right to decide on their childs future . This must be a joint decision as its a joint project in life with mutual responsibilities .

Back