Achieving Fluency In Castellano (Esp. Comprehension)

Zorawar

Registered
Just curious to know what other ex-pat English speakers experienced re: achieving fluency in Spanish. How long did it take for you feel comfortable and fully engaged in exclusesively Argentine social settings? Did it help to watch Argentine tv or movies? Academically, I test
at upper intermediate. I can carry on personal business in the City all day in Spanish and am usually fine in one-on-one, I even noticed I understand 90% of CNN global (Mexican) Spanish -- but in groups of Argentines my comprehension seems almost
zero. Any advice?

Get a dictionary of lunfardo, Diccionario del Habla de Los Argentinos (published by La Nacion) and Che Boludo to understand everyday speech. What you use in business and hear on television is different.

In Buenos Aires you're dealing with a few different things -- a much more rapid pace of speech (especially compared to Mexican spanish, but also compared to other areas of Argentina), the Porteno accent, the use of vos (which isn't employed throughout Argentina either), and an awful lot of slang and vocabulary that you won't encounter in Mexico, and some that you certainly won't encounter on global news. Watching local programmes will help, but you really need local ones, anything that is on the cable channels and dubbed is usually dubbed into Neutral. Local news programmes help as you'll pick up more local vocabulary but the pacing is usually more clear. If you really want a challenge try to keep up with Intratables where you can have up to 15 people shouting over top of each other.

A lot of it is the pace, people speak very rapidly. Keep the radio turned on if you're in the car / at home as well -- Ari Paluch is interesting, Perros de la Calle if you want lots of slang. To come to terms with the local speak Radio and TV can be your friends. I can't tolerate most of the soaps though, and you need to limit yourself to the local ones to get the Porteno and other Argentine accents down.

I've been here 9+ years and still working on my Spanish, some days it can be down right atrocious, sometimes I feel like I'm totally on top of it. Fluency means different things to different people, and it can truly depend on context. If you're want to be able to deliver a technical lecture in Spanish at a university level you can be talking years, if you mean social fluency, well frankly it depends how often you're in a spanish environment and how many hours of the day you can dedicate to it. If you ask me, it's not a months long practice, it's years. People often say 6 months until fluency, but really I have yet to meet someone who has achieved this. I know there are polyglots who claim otherwise, but for most adults it is a much longer journey. The trick to me is to get over your own ego, allow yourself to fail and to sound like an idiot because the more time you spend speaking another language, the more exposure you have, the more adept you will become.

Just curious to know what other ex-pat English speakers experienced re: achieving fluency in Spanish. How long did it take for you feel comfortable and fully engaged in exclusesively Argentine social settings? Did it help to watch Argentine tv or movies? Academically, I test
at upper intermediate. I can carry on personal business in the City all day in Spanish and am usually fine in one-on-one, I even noticed I understand 90% of CNN global (Mexican) Spanish -- but in groups of Argentines my comprehension seems almost
zero. Any advice?

You are not alone most Spanish speakers from other countries also feel lost...! To be fluent with the "Sunday Asado talk" will take a while before you master words like jermu, boga, al dope..! Watch a TV program Intratables in TN, if you understand all what is being yelled by participants ... you are there.. Check Lunfardo Dictionary.

http://www.portenospanish.com/browse/a

"Watch a TV program Intratables in TN"- I don't know what this means even if it's supposedly in English :)

zero. Any advice?

Castellano in Argentina oh your in for an experience on that one. Just wait till they start putting two or three words into one word while they are talking to you. If you already have some Spanish it wont be to bad after you have been here for a few months. Just try to tune your hearing into picking up the blended words which was the part that I, speaking for myself found the hardest to grasp. Sayings like donoma which is "dos no mas" and "acanoma" which is aca no mass. The trick that worked for me was first getting down the words that are very similar in English and Spanish. Vacation - Vacaciones, Idea - Idea, Supid - Stupido, Sufficiant - Sufficiente, Problem - Problema and many others I found I could pick those up pretty fast. Then in time others. My wife used to post stick it notes on things around the house with there Spanish names on them which also helped.

Intratables is becoming one of the more popular nightly shows, it's hosted by a guy who also does an afternoon show (or did, not sure if it's on) that was all celebrity gossip. Intratables is slowly becoming more and more political. I like the show, except that it really has too too many panelists. It gets a bit ridiculous. It's Canal 9 not TN, TN is great though for slower paced shows where there is usually only 1 host and 2 panelists max so it makes it a bit easier to follow the discussions.

Edit -- Oops Intratables is on America

The other that is decent in terms of listening a bit more slower paced (and just for informative discussion, whether you agree or not) is Lanata -- you can watch the shows online and pause, go back listen again etc: http://www.eltrecetv.com.ar/periodismo-para-todos

Intratables looks like they have some of it online too: http://www.america2.multimediosamerica.com.ar/intratables

Obviously complete immersion is the best strategy. The more you depend on listening and talking in the language, the more you'll learn. Limit your use of English... that is, have Spanish speaking friends, listen to Argentine radio/tv, read Argentine newspapers, etc. Even just having the local radio or tv on in the background as you're doing other things (paying half attention) will help you pick up words and sounds. Ultimately it's all about practice - and practice comes from actually listening to and using the language.

The vocabulary and slang can be difficult... but you'll pick that up quickly enough once you have a good base. You can usually find meaning in context.

Argentines do speak very fast which makes real life practice all the more important. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask them to repeat what they said or even just admit you don't know what x word means. I knew Spanish before coming here, but I still had to ask about some words because they're different... for example, for the longest time I thought frutilla meant something like "mixed fruit" - it wasn't until I saw a Strawberry Shortcake book in a supermarket that I had the ah-ha moment. :p

Back