Adios Hugo

Bradley - have you been to Venezuela? I have and I will say, the political system there is nothing and I mean nothing like I had seen/experienced before. Nor can I imagine anyone there visiting feeling like the country was on an upswing.

I actually thought that piece was pretty nuanced and very accurate. While I applaud his attempts to lift the lowest classes out of poverty and call attention to some of the inequities, I think a huge amount of the capital was wasted and a huge amount of time was spent on vendettas and making sure everyone toed the line, not in bettering the lives of the average citizen.

I haven't been to Venezuela, but I'm not sure I follow. I'm referencing the 10 points mentioned in that post, and their applicability to other countries. I am not discounting their importance, but I am saying that these problems can be found essentially in any country.

I'm saying that it's irrelevant who's in power because the same story will continue to play out.

Secondly, are you implying that political vendettas only happen in "less serious" countries like Venezuela? These happen everywhere--even in the United States. Valerie Plame under Bush, Peter Van Buren under Obama.... and many others.

Same song, just a different tune.

And you know, I could say that for all of the politicians. Change a few minor details; throw in Bush, Obama, CFK, or anyone else; and it's the same old story.

Bradly - I was responding to this quote. I just don't think you can say that politics/politicians in Venezuela is the same as it is in the US/Europe. There have been many politicians in the US for example that I am not fond of but not one went around firing gov't employees if they didn't go to his rallies, closing down opposition radio/television stations, taking over private enterprises, etc. It is a different story - maybe not a unique one to S. America but certainly not comparable to the rest of the world IMO.

My favorite piece of all times ¿Porque No Te Callas? for someone that spoke non-stop 8 hours daily ..!
Chavez comments on the Spanish King's words "I have been elected 3 times , you haven't....!! :wub:

Today I saw a video where El Comandante recited the famous words of "I Have a Dream" comparing himself with Dr.King?

PAELANTE COMANDANTE..!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
steveinbsas Expat Life 10
ajoknoblauch Expat Life 5
D.B. Cooper Culture 9
E Expat Life 0
M Expat Life 51
Back