Advice on Areas

duanestorey

Registered
I've been looking for apartments, and I found one in the area of Malabia and Av Raul Scalabrini Oritiz. Does anyone know what that area is like?

Those two streets are parallel, and depending on what cross street the apartment is in the character of the neighborhood changes a lot. The closer it is to Santa Fe the more touristic it is and closer to the "heart" of Palermo (shopping, restaurants). If it's between Santa Fe and Cordoba it's Palermo and closer to the parks. If it's on the side of Scalabrini that's next to Malabia it's Palermo Soho, if it's on the Araoz side it's Palermo Viejo. If it's between Corrientes and Warnes it's Villa Crespo. Villa Crespo is nice, but definitely more residential while still close to everything. Warnes is kind of nasty so you don't want to be too close to it.

Edited to clarify the correct neighborhood--Soho, not Hollywood. I always confuse them because I always see film crews in Soho, but not in Hollywood.

Malabia and Avenida Raul Scalabrini Ortiz run in the same way. Try to find out the address or the street that cross them. It could be Palermo or Villa Crespo neighbourhood. As I live in Palermo, I will be glad to give you more details if it is in the Palermo area. Good luck in your search!

Those two streets are parallel and rather long. What is the cross street? Anyway, I live and work very close to both those streets, 10 blocks apart. So I can tell you all about it. But will need the cross street.

MizzMarr said:
Those two streets are parallel, and depending on what cross street the apartment is in the character of the neighborhood changes a lot. The closer it is to Santa Fe the more touristic it is and closer to the "heart" of Palermo (shopping, restaurants). If it's between Santa Fe and Cordoba it's Palermo and closer to the parks. If it's on the side of Scalabrini that's next to Malabia it's Palermo Hollywood (I think, I still get Soho and Hollywood confused sometimes), if it's on the Araoz side it's Palermo Viejo. If it's between Corrientes and Warnes it's Villa Crespo. Villa Crespo is nice, but definitely more residential while still close to everything. Warnes is kind of nasty so you don't want to be too close to it.

I thought Hollywood was on the other side of Juan B Justo and that Palermo Soho was IN Palermo Viejo, ie. Palermo Viejo encompasses Soho & other parts.

Someone have a map of the Palermo subsections?

mini said:
I thought Hollywood was on the other side of Juan B Justo and that Palermo Soho was IN Palermo Viejo, ie. Palermo Viejo encompasses Soho & other parts.

Someone have a map of the Palermo subsections?

I mix up Soho and Hollywood all the time--according to my map Soho is the central (between JB Justo and Scalabrini, Cordoba and Santa Fe), and Hollywood is the other side of JB Justo until.. Dorrego or thereabouts. My understanding is that Palermo Viejo starts on the other side of Scalabrini Ortiz and goes to approx. Col. Diaz between Cordoba and S.Fe.

The map that Pauper posted cracks me up because of all the Palermos (Palermo Queens, Palermo Norte, Palermo Sensible, "Palermo Nuevo"?? Gimme a break). Palermo Queens is Villa Crespo, and I *think* Palermo Sensible is Viejo, but "Palermo Norte" is really just barrio norte--I think it's just capitalization on the name Palermo and apt/home owners trying to capitalize on how well known the barrio is. Too bad you can't really see the streets.

Duanestory--Honduras and Malabia will put you essentially in the heart of Palermo Soho. Lots of shops, cafes, bars, etc., and walking distance to restaurants. It's definitely a good place to be if it's your first time and you're only staying a couple of months.

Thanks for the map Pauper. I remember I had that book market a while ago.

Palermo Queens is new and no longer used after the real estate scandal over it. But Sensible, Freud, Chico & Alto Palermo are not. I don't know how "neuvo" "Palermo Nuevo" is. LOL.

Duane, it's a nice neighborhood.

Back