advice on student visa

gott5

Registered
Hi, I am a U.S citizen and was studying in Argentina until Dec. 2010. My visa expired but I began the paperwork to return for the new school year beginning April 4. I just got word that CJIS rejected my fingerprints b/c they are not good quality. I already have plane tickets, and can enter w/ a tourist visa. However, I know that I must begin the student visa process w/in 30 days of registering for school. I will not have the fbi background check in time for that- are there any options for me in Argentina, or ways I could extend the time to apply?

You could speak to the embassy and explain your situation, explain as well you can't be missing your school year and request the process to get done down here in Argentina. You already had been accepted once and there shouldn't be any issues getting it re-newed.

Usually under these cases I would tell you there's not much you can do, but since you already been to school here you still got the chance to explain you can't afford to skip a year.

talk to your school,

i'll be honest with you, i studied in Cordoba, as an exchange student with my U. and i applied late and had to rush to get my visa, medical, apostle seal. blah blah blah, all costing money, at the end the Argentine consulate got my rush visa and gave me a little lecture on how these things take weeks not days on their part.

when i arrived at the university during orientation, they asked everyone for our paperwork, visas, etc.. and one girl said she didn't have time to completely process it.

I said to myself, "oh man, she Fcuked!!, what happens now?" i got to see this. all they told her is that she is fine on a tourist visa and would have to leave and come back every 90 days.

"really??" WTF, i just spent 3 weeks, days off work, running around dropping cash for every little thing and all i could have done i left the country in 90 days. (which we did for school field trips)

that was my first lesson of Argentina 101, on how things work in the country. if you try doing things the right way, it cost you more..

anyways.. i had a blast so just talk to your U and see if the tourist things works or if you can process it while you are down there.. your paying tuition so that goes a long way

saludos Steve

your school in the US and here are the ones responsible for helping you and letting you know exactly what you need. Your school is supposed to provide you with a letter to help you get the "Special Temporary Resident Permit." This is the information to find out what in your special case you can do and make sure you have all documents that state that your fingerprint were not up to speed,To acquire your Special Temporary Residence Permit, you will be required to submit all the documentation mentioned below to the Argentine Immigration Authority (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) (a):
1. Appoinment’s code/number (for residency permit ath you can call but YOUR SCHOOL OR SPONSOR SHOULD CALL ALSO). Appointments can be done either by phone (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones al 5222-7117) or by their website (www.migraciones.gov.ar, into “Solicitud de turnos”) buena suerte

rockbodyrock said:
talk to your school,

i'll be honest with you, i studied in Cordoba, as an exchange student with my U. and i applied late and had to rush to get my visa, medical, apostle seal. blah blah blah, all costing money, at the end the Argentine consulate got my rush visa and gave me a little lecture on how these things take weeks not days on their part.

when i arrived at the university during orientation, they asked everyone for our paperwork, visas, etc.. and one girl said she didn't have time to completely process it.

I said to myself, "oh man, she Fcuked!!, what happens now?" i got to see this. all they told her is that she is fine on a tourist visa and would have to leave and come back every 90 days.

"really??" WTF, i just spent 3 weeks, days off work, running around dropping cash for every little thing and all i could have done i left the country in 90 days. (which we did for school field trips)

that was my first lesson of Argentina 101, on how things work in the country. if you try doing things the right way, it cost you more..

anyways.. i had a blast so just talk to your U and see if the tourist things works or if you can process it while you are down there.. your paying tuition so that goes a long way

saludos Steve

my brother started his masters in arg with a tourist visa. he has two passports like me. south african/turkish both visa free 90+90 and 90+90= 360. goes to colonia every 3 months and takes the grand tour:). you people especially americans worry too much. chill:))

gott5 said:
I will not have the fbi background check in time for that- are there any options for me in Argentina, or ways I could extend the time to apply?

Unless things have changed you can expedite this process of getting your "FBI background check" using Fedx. I recall mine taking a little over a month but I used the local mail.
Desde

You don´t need legal residency for studying. You can do it with your passport. How long have you been here? You might entitle to citizenship. Regards

Please, could somebody advise me urgently. I have been living here with my two children aged 17 and 19 for almost six years, illegally, I have a house, a car and my kids have studied here at a private school for all these years. Now my eldest wants to start university at Matanza, and has done his antecedentes, got all the legal paperwork and has been backwards and forwards to immigrations but to no avail. The university tells him he nees a DNI to enrol and immigrations tells him he needs to enroll at the university to get the DNI. I am desperate for some information as we only have 3 months to sort this out before he should start in March.

Immigrations have told us that by law the university has to accept him but the university have told us that they will not accept him without the DNI as it is not up to them to make his residency easy. My son has not been out of the country at all for five years.

So please if anyone could give me any advice on this I would be extremely grateful.

Also another issue, I am wanting to go for residency for me and my daughter so she doesn't have the same problem in two years time, but I do not know what reason I can put for wanting residency. I have invested in my house and I work, but I work online for companies in Canada, the US and the UK and I get paid directly into my virtual account and extract my money via debit card, does anyone have any advice regarding this.

Thank you in advance of any advice on my (what I consider) a huge problem.

Regards

Regarding your son, the University authorithies are wrong. The way to solve it is through Court and this is very fast because this is what they call "medida autosatisfactiva". It means that the judge order the university to enroll him.

If you have been here for so long, I suggest you apply for citizenship. In this country, residency is an option for citizenship when you homeland doesn t accepts dual citizenship (china), that s why citizenship has less requirements.
Take a look at my website.

You don t fullfit the requirements for residency because rentista visa means you don t work here.

The valid laws governing citizenship (Law 346, Law 23.059, and Decree 3.213/84) set forth very simple requirements:
(1) to be 18 years old;
(2) to have been living in Argentina for 2 years; and
(3) to apply for citizenship before a federal judge.

And they can reject your case if you do not have an honest way of living or if you have been in jail for 3 years in the last 5 years.

Honest work means that you work and this is not illegal. The way to evidence is through witnesess.

Please, fell free to PM me.
Regards

Hi, thanks to everybody that replied to my original question. Fortunately I got my son sorted out in university, once he gets the paperwork from uni then he fortunately can apply for his residencia. I am British, have been here almost six years living illegally. Now I want to apply for my residencia for myself an my daughter who is 17, so that she doesn't have any problems in two years when she wants to go to uni. I have got my birth certificate (full versoin) with the apostle and I know the routine of getting it translted, and also that I need to go for my antecedentes. The immigrations page says antecedentes for where you have resided for the last six years, so I presume I can only get from Buenos Aires. However, also the immigration page states various reasons to gain residency and unfortunately I do not fit into any of the categories. I work online for Canadian, Australia, American and English companies and receive my wage via virtual debit card and get my money out of the ATMs. Does anyone have any idea if I would be entitled to residency as I have been here six years, or how I could go about this process.

Unfortunately I cannot show proof of income as I work for various companies it would be too costly for me to have my wages transferred into my HSBC account that I have here at $65 per transfer. All I could do was print out a copy of my statement which shows what goes into my account either in dollars or sterling.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Karen

Back