Advice on US number in Argentina

HeyBA

Registered
I've been using a US cell with a data plan on roaming in Argentina. I had to do it for a time, but it can get quite expensive. It's about $2 USD per minute to talk.

Ideally I would like a US cell number where I can be reached in BA and make calls relatively inexpensively. This number would work when I was back in the US.

I know I can get a number with skype, but I don't have a local smartphone. I would have to take my iPod touch and check it on Wifi. That would be alright, but not ideal.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a local pay as you smartphone with data roaming, and only using it for the occasional checking of email and skype.

Any constructive advice here would be much appreciated. Including any innovative ideas or experience anyone may have.

We do Skype on our iPhones and forward our US cell #'s to our Skype number while here. So anyone calls our US numbers and we get the call here on Skype.

Another option is Vonage. You can subscribe to the service and get a US phone number of your choice. Here you can connect your Vonage adapter to your router, and use any regular phone to connect it to (no computer or smart phone needed). I have a vonage adapter I can give you for free, but you'll have to subscribe to the service to be able to activate it.

I use Skype In number too. You can divert it to your Argentine cell phone too. It comes cheaper than roaming charges

Probably the best bet

I am a new vonage suscriber and very happy with the service and quality. And, I love that caller ID from the US comes through. I also like that there are real people to help if/when you have a problem.

Back