Advice Please

Here is the website where I found the condos for less than $40k.

http://www.enbuenosa...leta-sales.html

I just looked on that site, and found parking spaces for 40k, but tiny studios started more in the 60k to 70k range.
And they are not exactly "condo's"- everything is different in Argentina.
You do realize you will have to pay cash, no mortgages exist, and that there will be additional amounts on top of the sales price which could easily be 10% more. And then, virtually every apartment here is pretty stripped, and will need some work, and appliances, sometimes even light fixtures.

I think a tiny one room studio, realistically, is going to be more like 85K, by the time you move in and get basic fixtures and furnishing, in places close to the center.

As coincidences would have them,.. yesterday there was a coffee fair at the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown BA.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1623002-los-amantes-del-buen-cafe-tienen-su-feria

My 2 cts (I'll celebrate my 10th year here in 1 month exactly), considering you're likely in your late 20s/early 30s;

- Condo for 40K = Doable, even in an OK area (among the links posted before, the smallish 1 BR in Villa Crespo = 17 square meters...). But in 17 sq. meters, you really need to love a lot your SOH (and reciprocally). Forget about kids in such a tiny place. For renting it when you go away, don't expect much (450 USD max per month for a short term rental with everything perfect? Everything perfect = more money to invest). Many other issues will arise since you don't know the country (e.g. if you want at some point to leave the country = the local IRS will ask you to prove you didn't rent the condo, otherwise you'll have to pay fines, etc.)

- Money/Budget plan = in your 1st post you say "go to school there". That's a bit vague. Universities are free here if you have residency, citizenship, etc. but that won't be your case (unless that's for your kids but that's a strange way to plan things). Main problem about your budget plan: like in any country, expect to make mistakes the first year you live here, this assertion is even more valid here = You need to multiply what you expect to pay by a factor of 0.5 if you don't want bad surprises and a nightmare ending.

- Your precise project = It seems you didn't visit this country yet (could be wrong). Like for any business project, you need to have enough cash to pay for all your expenses during 2 or 3 years if things go wrong (and this remark is even more valid here...). For Import duties & such, maybe can you find solutions to pay less buying in Mercosur countries, etc. (no clue).

Conclusion = if you were my best friend, I'd tell you to be very cautious (I like to take risks myself and I had my first business when I was 21, with 7 employees). It seems there are variables you are not aware of. But we don't have enough info from your posts to really envision the failure/success potential.

Back