Aerolineas Argentina

gouchobob

Registered
Has anybody flow with AA recently. They are spending a lot of money on the airline and I wonder if anybody can comment on the level service, quality of service, etc., recently.

Back in 2008 the government nationalized the airline, since they have loses of $540 million in 2009 and $420 million in 2010. When they took it over the government assumed about $1 billion in liabilities which according to an article in the WSJ is all but paid off. In 2010 they took on another $400 million in debt. So since 2008 the taxpayers are on the hook for $960 million in losses plus they have paid a billion off in debt, plus they assumed another $400 million in debt last year. All told the taxpayers shelled out or assumed debt of about $2.3 billion dollars so far on this venture. The airline employees about 10,000 people so this works out to a cost of about $230,000 for each job saved by the government.

The airline currently operates about 41 or 42 aircraft. They are hoping to become profitable by 2012, but its hard to see how. One problem is that they are way overstaffed. Hard to see how they can be profitable when they have probably 2 1/2 times the number of employees needed for an airline this size. My guess you could have started and fully equipped 3 or 4 airlines of comparable size for the money that has been spent. Only in Argentina, another example of good decision making by the current government.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110407-713314.html

Flew Bariloche - Buenos Aires return, about a month ago with Aerolineas Argentinas.

When I checked in I was told I wasn't booked on the flight, sent to the sales desk who told me the flight was cancelled and I had been put on a flight an hour later...that was probably why I couldn't check-in online when I tried.

No in-flight entertainment (LAN has screen that drop down from overhead)

Terrible food - dry cake (LAN has really nice snacks)

Delays, Delays, delays my flight was 4 hours delayed, other Aerolineas flights were shown as delayed on the departure screens (Not a single LAN flight shown as delayed)

Asked for a window seat, was given one but they forget to mention it was next to the Engine (high mounted engines), so no absolutely no view.. that's why I asked for a window seat.

When I boarded the plane it was about 40 deg C. I was sweating, so were the cabin crew (they were dripping), it was disgusting. Only cooled down when we took off.

Only flew Aerolineas as it was a last minute booking and they were a lot cheaper than LAN. Vowed never to fly with them again.

This week flew LAN Bariloche - Buenos Aires return and you notice the difference, even phoned to change my flight the day before and it only cost AR$150 to be moved to an earlier flight. LAN also have good out of season deals with KM's

I fly MIA-EZE-MIA on AA several times a year (they have a daily nonstop flight, and it's always the cheapest option.) Honestly, the airline is not so bad; I've had much worse experiences on American carriers. Departure was only delayed once (for an hour out of Ezeiza), and once they called 2 months in advance to tell me that my departure time had been moved up by an hour. My luggage has always arrived intact (with nothing missing). There's always one bitchy azafata who gets annoyed when I ask for more water, but for the most part, they're friendly. Naturally the food sucks, and only once did they ever remember my vegetarian meal (not that it matters, I bring my own food), but at least they're generous with the wine. I think they've gotten some new planes; the ones I've been on recently are about 500% more comfortable than back in 2009. I actually really like being one of about 5 foreigners on the entire flight, because 1) I sail through immigrations in about 0.5 seconds, and 2) Argentines make great seatmates -- slender, interesting to talk to, and so friendly that I end up invited to their home to meet their family :)

Only flew Aerolineas as it was a last minute booking and they were a lot cheaper than LAN. Vowed never to fly with them again.
Yes, I've been told that compared to their international flights, their domestic service is a disaster.

My worst ever flight: the inside of cabin was held together with gaffa tape. The food was awful, so was the service and the inflight entertainment kept breaking down. Oh - forgot to mention - this was British Airways

Come on guys, Aerolineas isn't so bad. I can't say that I've had a memorably superb service like from Qantas but at the same time I can't recall a bad flight either.

With the money being spent you would expect caviar and champagne for everybody on every flight.

Just to show how out of whack they are AA operates 41 aircraft and has 10,000 employees. Alaska Airlines has about the same number of employees and operates 115 aircraft, a much larger operation.

I think this shows how weak and disorganized the opposition is. They should be making hay with this as an example of waste and mismanagement by the government.

Three of us flew Aerolineas biz class to Calafate a few weeks ago.... They are still one of the worst arlines. Avoid whenever possible.

gouchobob said:
With the money being spent you would expect caviar and champagne for everybody on every flight.

Just to show how out of whack they are AA operates 41 aircraft and has 10,000 employees. Alaska Airlines has about the same number of employees and operates 115 aircraft, a much larger operation.

I think this shows how weak and disorganized the opposition is. They should be making hay with this as an example of waste and mismanagement by the government.

They should also be making 'hay' of the fact that once the Kirchners nationalized the airlines they gave control of it to their son Maximo. I mean really, WTF?

I have flown areolineas from NZ to EZE a few times - mostly because qantas and LAN have been full when i wanted to go. They are one of the worst airlines i have ever flown with (up there with uzbekistans national carrier).. Every flight i have been on has been delayed, once 36 hours, another 15 hours, and another 12, the rest were an hour or 2. Worse still the staff lie, and are rude..
Dec 2009 when flying to NZ they said our plane was delayed because it hadnt arrived yet from europe.. this was at 12am when we checked in for a 2am flight. We were then told at 3am that we wouldnt be leaving until later that day.. They put us up in a hotel.. and on the TV news we find out that the pilots went on strike at 10pm.. the staff at the airport would have known this - why didnt they tell us !!!
So because it was now a day time flight instead of a night flight, they didnt have enough food/drinks on board for all the passengers who would normally be asleep.. so 4 hours into the 14 hour flight there was no snacks or drinks left. People were walking around the cabin, and going to the galley asking for drinks/food and the pissed off staff just told people to sit down.. the flight from hell.. no in-seat entertainment like LAN or qantas or every other long haul flight i have been on for the last 10 years - because the planes are so old i guess, and they look it inside and out..
The good thing about this flight (there is always an upside) because it was a daytime flight was that we got to see antartica and the ice for as far as the eye could see on both sides of the plane.......

Flew to ushuaia with areolinas last year - on a old worn-out plane, and it was ok for the 3 1/2 hours flight..

Anyways where possible i try never to fly with aerolineas..

So this is one of those posts made to bash the government, isnt?
Ok, I´ll bite. AA is not the best airline, and is not worst than lots of others (American carriers get the prize between the "serious" airlines for being bad, it is like comparing Greyhound to an Argentinean bus). Travelling to Madrid, AA is not worst or better than Iberia or Alitalia, the two companies in the same price range.
That said, it is a very sad company if you compare with Oman Airlines, Emirates or the like. My last flight in Oman was the best time I had in the air ever, I wanted to continue flying for 3 hours more so I could watch another movie in their state-of-the-art entertainment system while I eat their excellent food.
About being overstaffed: It is ok with me, the objective of a state company is not to make a lot of money, is to offer a service and if it is possible to lower unemployment.

Back