Again: Who Much Do You Pay Your Cleaner?

I think it's a bit much to judge people on how much they pay cleaners quite frankly.
I don't handle that side of things, not because of the language but because Adri and the cleaner have a rapport that I could never achieve and she has a very well defined sense of fairness.
Also, it's all very well saying we should pay in white money, but frankly once a week for for about four hours and some weeks when she simply can't make it, doesn't make that viable at all.

El Queso

I’m sorry, but I would have considered $45 pesos/ hour one year ago to be almost as bad as $45 pesos/ hour now given your comments on other threads. Sadly, you’re right, it’s probably close to what the - meager! not a living wage - salary was for that kind of work at that time. No prizes for matching that. Based on what I was paying people before, I’d probably have paid someone at least $80 if I’d have hired them then. You’re free to pay what you want, of course, but I don’t think my cynicism is too off-base here given your comments in the last thread and the tone with which you presented the $45/ hour information. I’m glad to hear that you started paying a better wage at some point, and am sure she appreciated it while it lasted. If she was good, I hope she has found well-paid work elsewhere.

Thanks to the people who pointed out that El Queso's post was from one year ago. Either I hadn't noticed, or I did notice but remembered that I was already paying about 80 pesos per hour 2 or 3 years ago - I think my estimate of $100/ hour at today’s rates was a bit low - and still thought 45 pesos/ hour in Jan 2015 paltry for one who talks such a big game. Either way, I stand by my comments. I'm not judging what anyone else apart from El Queso is paying their cleaners (though I wanted to point out that it is hard work, and they don't always get to work so many hours so their final pay is very low, please everyone take that into consideration if you have a good one. I’m aware of how hard it is to find good ones). I'm also aware that Argies and other Spanish speakers - I’d add Brazilians - will usually pay less (another aspect of this is that they tend leave my rentals in much worse state than those from other areas because they are used to being cleaned up after daily). It’s terrible, and I’m very glad my mom left, because that is probably the life I would have had otherwise. I’m sure I overcompensated and over-paid a bit because of my background and because I know from ongoing experience how hard it is to do the job well.

I am also aware that there are plenty of cleaners who are vivas y vagas. This is a huge part of the reason I do my own cleaning - lots of fruitless experience with trying to hire someone good and was available so sporadically! The original plan was to leave the apartments to be managed by others and travel the world on the proceeds. I would have been happy to put the right person en blanco at a good wage if it were regular - even if very few hours - as they are helping me to make money and I think it’s fair (also, to protect myself from any lawsuits, which do happen here…) I am totally aware that there are a lot of them who don’t want to be paid en blanco because they have planes and wonder if that will start to change with the new government.

Gringoboy, it sounds like Adri is fair and that you pay well! That sounds great, and the person who cleans your house is probably very thankful to have the job.

Citygirl - Very true about what you say about locals paying less but earning in pesos. Especially with the constant economic crises here and people who have made sacrifices in their own lives to keep their long-term cleaners on instead of leaving them in the lurch, there is so much gray area here. For every rich Argentine who pays poverty wages because they can, there is probably a middle class family (or several) for whom the situation is much more complicated. I agree that expats are another situation entirely.

El Nico Original - sorry I haven’t gotten back to your PM yet about being racist against white people, but I have mostly been busy working - cleaning - hard (or sleeping - haven't been this busy for a while). You are barking up the wrong tree there! My father is 100% white and British, and I grew up culturally British/ Californian, without speaking Spanish. I grew up in a white bastion of privilege in the US (summer holidays spent mostly in England) believing I was also 100% white - my mom was and is full of secrets - and I’d say that I present as mostly white depending on context because I’m tall and pale.

It’s bizarre to get the treatment I get here sometimes (here! In this land of dysfunction, and for the first time when I was 24 and grew up thinking I was white - I literally didn’t understand it the first few times. It’s admittedly usually when I am dressed to clean or exercise). In many other places - in Brazil, even - it would be assumed that I’d be nearer the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum, but living here has been one hell of an education! I’m kind of grateful for it, but will be glad when it’s over. When I tell expats here about the racism I deal with, they always say “But you don’t look…”, which leads me to wonder if being they think that being treated like that would be somehow more OK - or less surprising - if I were short and dark? It’s actually kind of fun to be able to fit in in so many different kinds of situations (some of which might actually be dangerous if people knew where I was from) without drawing attention to myself.

Anyway, sincere thanks for the tip about zolvers, how annoying! I thought these people were employees of zolvers - en blanco, of course - but what they are offering sounds practically useless for my needs from what you are saying. You have saved me some time!

Noesdeayer

Thanks for the information about Zolvers, I think they could be a good place to find people with matriculas who do other kinds of work (like plumbing and electrical). I just don't think it's the solution for me personally for cleaners, but what they are offering sounds interesting for professionals who are used to working on an ad hoc basis and earning more per hour to compensate.

I'll try them out sometime.

El Queso

I’m sorry, but I would have considered $45 pesos/ hour one year ago to be almost as bad as $45 pesos/ hour now given your comments on other threads. Sadly, you’re right, it’s probably close to what the - meager! not a living wage - salary was for that kind of work at that time. No prizes for matching that. Based on what I was paying people before, I’d probably have paid someone at least $80 if I’d have hired them then. You’re free to pay what you want, of course, but I don’t think my cynicism is too off-base here given your comments in the last thread and the tone with which you presented the $45/ hour information. I’m glad to hear that you started paying a better wage at some point, and am sure she appreciated it while it lasted. If she was good, I hope she has found well-paid work elsewhere.

He didn't say meager.
He wasn't free to pay what he wanted, he paid a rate that was accepted by someone or was presented as that cleaners going rate.
If you was paying 80 pesos a year ago then you was paying well above the average. Put it like this, if he was paying low, you were paying high and either had a very good cleaner or someone who charged high (maybe both). If you was paying 80 pesos because you thought anything lower was unfair, why not pay 100 pesos, or 120 pesos, I imagine your cleaner would have appreciated it more.

I don't have a cleaner (if I did I would pay 300 pesos per hour, would that make me super awesome kind?), but I don't understand why you would have a go at someone for paying a particular rate. Cleaning is a service being provided and like any other service the cleaners are free to charge as much as they want and clients will always try to get the best deal (note the best deal does not mean the cheapest deal).

If he was paying 45 pesos, so what? It is not his responsibility to make sure a cleaner who accepted or quoted the rate has a better quality of life, if it was we should all hire ten cleaners. Btw, I know plenty of cleaners who are still charging 50 pesos an hour, so his 45 a year ago is not that much of a stretch.

El Nico Original - sorry I haven’t gotten back to your PM yet about being racist against white people, but I have mostly been busy working - cleaning - hard (or sleeping - haven't been this busy for a while). You are barking up the wrong tree there! My father is 100% white and British, and I grew up culturally British/ Californian, without speaking Spanish. I grew up in a white bastion of privilege in the US (summer holidays spent mostly in England) believing I was also 100% white - my mom was and is full of secrets - and I’d say that I present as mostly white depending on context because I’m tall and pale.

Huh? What in the world are you talking about? You mean the PM you sent met about why your treatment of Michael Smith, "the lazy, entitled white person" who is just plain "racist" was justified? I don't know if you understand how PMs work but you initiated the PM, I respectfully sent you a reply to all of them and the last message was about Macri's politics...WTF?!

Your replies to this thread and how you can't get over Michael Smith's post about asking for help only solidifies that at the very least you have some sort of inferiority complex where you see everyone's actions in light of who you are ethnically and who they are. The latest example in this:

Why should one be expected to live/ support dependents etc on half as much (your tone implies that you think you are being very generous) and the other not? Given my family and ethnic background, I’m not sure I want to know the answer to that…

Doesn't matter what race your parents were, I've seen plenty of self hating people from all different races. As for barking up the wrong tree. I don't even have much interest in the tree, let alone barking up it. You are the one who can't let go of anything and want everyone to agree with you. I don't much care. I entertained the PM because I had no reason not to (like I mentioned plenty of times in the PM, I don't know you). But now the crazy is getting to be a little too much for me to want to do anything with it.

So have a good day and please don't bother replying to the PM. Also, open a new thread if you want to hash it out with "evil white folks" and discuss the racism that you've experienced here (at least two such threads already exist). This thread is a good resource to have an idea about how much folks pay their cleaners, not a philosophical discussion on what people are paid and their ethnic backgrounds.

Anyway, sincere thanks for the tip about zolvers, how annoying! I thought these people were employees of zolvers - en blanco, of course - but what they are offering sounds practically useless for my needs from what you are saying. You have saved me some time!

You're welcome.

semigoodlookin -

The post is to El Queso, and was in light of his somewhat preachy comments in many other threads re 'hard times' etc.

He did not say 'meager', I did, and I thought that was clear. If that was the median or mean (don't remember which) wage in BA for that work at that time, I believe it, but I believe it is very low. Keep in mind that a median/ mean would be for all neighborhoods in BA, mostly paid by locals earning in pesos, many of whom will themselves have been victims of the inflation if they don't earn in USD and use the blue rate. EQ lives in Recoleta and earns in USD, quite apart from any interactions we've had on here. I'd hope that people who are in a position to do so would pay a little more for the luxury, but I don't expect it and don't comment unless they are having a go at me for lack of compassion (for the poverty of someone much richer than their own cleaner) elsewhere.

I mentioned elsewhere that other people can pay what they like, and I don't like repeating myself. As 3/4 of my response to El Queso was redacted, my point was not perhaps made as clearly as I'd intended.

Also, as 3/4 of my response to El Queso was redacted, I'm done with this forum.

ElNicoOriginal -

I feel like in every single one of our interactions - public and private - I've had to waste time explaining why the words you have put into my mouth on each occasion are not only the wrong ones but would in fact be untrue given the circumstances. My comments about M and 'racism' were to clarify that if you were not from the US you probably didn't know what mentioning 'Obama', 'Kenya' and 'birth certificates' in the same breath tends to mean. You have ignored the context of my words consistently in my PMs and I have pointed it out to you each time. Neither of us is getting anything out of these exchanges.

Who would I hate, if I were to be self-hating? White people ('evil white folks', as you put it? If I am brown, I am also white, being mixed. Shall I argue with myself)? Latinos? Arabs? Indigenous people? The British? Yanquis? I'd also have a class war raging inside me, along with another Malvinas (mom from poverty in Argentina, dad comfortably-off British). That would be so exhausting that I'd have had no energy left over to argue with you!

How can I have an 'inferiority complex' given my privileged background, whereby I thought I was 100% white until I was in my 20s, attending a top university? I was born with a lot of unearned advantages (many of which my mom earned for me by her hard work and sacrifice, and I admit it). If anything, I used to feel a bit of guilt about my background compared to that of - for example - my cousins here. Not anymore.

We're obviously both done here, and I won't be back - what is the point of trying to write thoughtful responses if the admins will just delete 3/4 of them without indicating that they have done so?

Its times like these that I'm so grateful for the ignore function.

To the people who are actually providing useful information, thanks!

Back