Agency Demanding Large Deposit?

polostar88

Registered
Hi I've rented a few times in Buenos Aires, and the agency or owner always only asked for a nominal deposit from me...but now I found this agency idearental, they're asking for slightly over a full month's deposit! I was wondering if anyone's rented from them, and if they return their deposits. I don't feel good doing this.

They're also saying they won't show me the apt. before I rent it, so I'm thinking it's a no-go anyway...in any case, if anyone knows their apt. on Guatemala and Humboldt let me know if it's any good. I'm only considering it because I like the area,
Thanks!

I think a month deposit for temporary contracts over 1 month or more is fairly normal. However, not showing you the apartment before you decide to rent it is slightly suspicious. We rented a temporary apartment from bytargentina for my parents when they visited (I'd also used them once before) and although it wasn't cheap, they were pretty good. They have loads of places in that area too - I don't think it should be a difficult barrio to find a temporary apartment in.
I think some agencies won't show you the place if its very short-term - Given what they charge, I'd be tempted to go elsewhere...

DO NOT DO THIS EVER.

If someone is renting an apt and does not let you see it this is TROUBLE.

pericles said:
DO NOT DO THIS EVER.

This...

Oh, and you're going to get screwed by these people if you decide to rent from them.

But other than that, I say Go For It!!!

...kidding. Keep looking.

If you don't feel comfortable renting sight unseen, don't do it. As far as the deposit, one months rent is fair and standard, although it could be negotiated down if you try.

One final note about apartment viewings. If the apartment is currently occupied, this is a valid reason for not showing it to other perspective clients.

In some rental contracts, it specifies that the owner has the right to show the apartment even if a client is currently occupying it, but some owners don't do this so as not to disturb current guests. I completely understand this perspective. But if you are not comfortable with it, you should look elsewhere. I am sure there are plenty of vacant properties available for viewing in Buenos Aires.

Don't do it. Anything over half a month is unacceptable. And if they refuse to show the apartment until it is rented, something is wrong. It sounds like a scam.

Chances are the apartment is in ok shape, but has things wrong with it. Things that they will then later blame on you to make sure that you don't get your deposit back. It happened to me and I'm still fumming about it.

One thing I have noticed is that more Argentine real estate comapnies that usually only deal with 2 year rentals are starting to offer temporary apartments as well. I have seen them in Belgrano and Palermo. The prices are usually better and the agencies are actually legit, with a license and all (unlike most temporary rental agencies) so if there are problems in the apartment, you can usually work them out with the agency.

pericles said:
DO NOT DO THIS EVER.

Ditto

I looked at quite a few places when I forst arrived that looked cool in the pix but when I saw the places in person I realized just how deceiving the images were from reality.
Also consider the intangibles that images do not provide such as building cleanliness and noise factors.

Back