Agency Demanding Large Deposit?

va2ba said:
Don't do it. Anything over half a month is unacceptable..

I definitely disagree with this - I think a month security deposit is completely acceptable and in fact, standard.

However, I agree - if an agency wouldn't show me an apt before renting it, it is a big no. As a prospective tenants, they should be willing to have you see any/all apts in person before paying.

Good luck and keep looking!

I completely agree. I think opinions differ when you are speaking to someone who actually owns rental property and knows how much money goes into them.

The damage deposit is usually highly symbolic anyway. If you are paying $ 1000 damage deposit on an apartment that has a $ 2000 flat screen tv and you break it. The owner is either going to eat that cost or simply rely on the " fact " that youre an honorable person and are willing to pay the full replacement cost.

So no. Half a months rent is okay if the owner is willing to take that risk. If not, it is perfectly reasonable for them to ask for a full months rent. Which is the least someone will ask for IN THE USA.

I own property but before that I rented and I can see both sides of the equation.

citygirl said:
I definitely disagree with this - I think a month security deposit is completely acceptable and in fact, standard.

However, I agree - if an agency wouldn't show me an apt before renting it, it is a big no. As a prospective tenants, they should be willing to have you see any/all apts in person before paying.

Good luck and keep looking!

I rented with idearental about 3 years ago. It wasn't a negative experience, but it wasn't fantastic either. That has been my experience with every agency, though. Once they have their money, they're out of the picture.

RE the people who say 1 month deposit is normal...I've rented several times before in BA and I was never asked more than $200-$300; last time the landlady knew me and didn't even charge me a deposit (and in fact trusted me to leave rent in a secret place in the apt. and just check myself out). I think if you're an owner you need to see who you're renting to first and size them up...that also goes into how you decide on the deposit.

I can't imagine being an owner and letting an agency rent my place out to people it doesn't see first.

Hi Polostar,

I've been spending a month or two a year here for the last 10 years (buying polo ponies), normally rented sight unseen from the pics on the internet and never had a problem. I agree that a months deposit is normal, us polo players can do a lot of damage if the party gets out of hand! I've now been here for the last nine months and have encountered friends who have had problems. My tips are;

If you can afford it rent in Puerto Madero because everything is new and everything works!
Go to an agency with a lot of stock on its books, because if they try and screw you, you simply tell them that under every advert they post you will put a disparaging statement. You can kill their business like this!
Be very clear about what you want and put it in writing. In argentina it is much easier to say, "I told you I needed this, I expect you to sort it out tomorrow" (80% chance of success) than "I thought the apartment would come with more plates, would you be able to buy some more tomorrow" (10% chance of success).

That being said, and to counterbalance the invariably negative comments I see on this site, I have never once had a problem here myself, never had any unforseen expenses removed from my deposit and never had a dodgy landlord.

Agency wise i have used a bunch. The ones I remember are apartments BA and BYT argentina, both of which I have used several times.

Miles Lewis said:
us polo players can do a lot of damage if the party gets out of hand!

Well if you will insist on plying your horses with alcohol in the living room...

(I apologise for the lack of any relevant content in this post whatsoever, but I couldn't resist.)

I want to see pictures of any apartment that you can rent with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. Seriously.

AlexfromLA said:
I want to see pictures of any apartment that you can rent with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. Seriously.

Haha I'd rather not put up any pictures but it was near Botanico (on the Ugarteche side) and had a pool, gym, etc., balcony, it was a one-bedroom. I rented this for 3 months; later I rented another apt. for 6 months near Arenales and Callao with a $250 deposit. I'd rather not post pics or info., etc., but they were both nice apts. --one very nice--and I'm not making this up...I guess I have a way with landladies :p

Just now actually I'm about to rent something from one of them with no deposit at all, I guess that's different because she already knows me...but even the first time it was a $200-$300 deposit for a pretty nice apt.

Those are some exceptionally nice & trusting landlords. I would never rent out an apt with less than a full month's deposit and totally understand why a landlord would be ask for a full month.

The furnishing are worth a lot more than a month's rent so it's more than fair IMO. It's standard at least in the US.

AlexFromLA: My deposit/bond is only US$200.. and its a relatively new apartment (actually its a studio), 3 or 4 years old, very moden looking in good condition, and on billinghurst and cordoba, so the area is ok too..
And my last apartment, beside parque las heras i only paid US$100 deposit.
I have been coming here/renting for just about 4 years now, so i dont let the locals screw me and dont pay tourist prices.. actually i probably do still get screwed, but not as much as other people i have talked to.
And you can come see my contract if you want as it has the deposit amount on it..

Back