Agency Demanding Large Deposit?

lol,

You know what we say

YQ11N.jpg

;)

You are 100% correct. I'm still waiting to see links to these apartments. I've been renting my apartments in Buenos Aires for over three years now so I am comfortable accepting 70% damage deposit in some cases. But only because I am American and I feel comfortable renting to fellow Americans and have legal recourse built into the contract in the US if ever there were a problem.

I don't know any agency in Buenos Aires that rents high end apartments for anything less than a 70% damage deposit. I mean if an agency came to an owner and said, " we want to rent your $ 200.000 USD apartment with $ 20,000 usd worth of furnishing and appliances out to perfect strangers for a $ 200 usd damage deposit " they'd get laughed out of the building.

I'm sure there are a few apartments in Buenos Aires that can be rented with little to no damage deposit, but these are low end apartments with little to nothing of value in them as far as high end furniture or appliances. I can guarantee that. If i'm mistaken, I'd like to see links to reputable websites that say otherwise. You can't even rent a car with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. Let's be serious,

citygirl said:
Those are some exceptionally nice & trusting landlords. I would never rent out an apt with less than a full month's deposit and totally understand why a landlord would be ask for a full month.

The furnishing are worth a lot more than a month's rent so it's more than fair IMO. It's standard at least in the US.

AlexfromLA said:
You are 100% correct. I'm still waiting to see links to these apartments. I've been renting my apartments in Buenos Aires for over three years now so I am comfortable accepting 70% damage deposit in some cases. But only because I am American and I feel comfortable renting to fellow Americans and have legal recourse built into the contract in the US if ever there were a problem.

I don't know any agency in Buenos Aires that rents high end apartments for anything less than a 70% damage deposit. I mean if an agency came to an owner and said, " we want to rent your $ 200.000 USD apartment with $ 20,000 usd worth of furnishing and appliances out to perfect strangers for a $ 200 usd damage deposit " they'd get laughed out of the building.

I'm sure there are a few apartments in Buenos Aires that can be rented with little to no damage deposit, but these are low end apartments with little to nothing of value in them as far as high end furniture or appliances. I can guarantee that. If i'm mistaken, I'd like to see links to reputable websites that say otherwise. You can't even rent a car with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. Let's be serious,

You're being obtuse because you know very well that we won't post pictures of apts. here. If my landlady wants to charge naive foreigners 70% in deposit, I'm not going to ruin her operation by posting the apt. here; and there are other reasons I wouldn't post the pics either. The apt. I'm talking about is renting for $1000-$1200 a month now and it's in a new building with a pool in a nice part of Palermo. Maybe you're talking about very high-end places, but most people here are not talking about that.

As of tomorrow I'm renting a place that normally goes for $1250, though I'm renting it at a discount and paying no deposit at all (landlady knows me from last time). I did this last time too. And I chose it over a place that demanded only 1/3 of a month's rent as deposit, even when the agent and owner had never met me before (the deposit is not the reason though, I just liked the area of the other one better...)

From my own experience, if you're paying large deposits in BA for an apartment around this price you're either naive and the landlord/agent can see that, or else there's some reason, possibly sound, that they don't trust you. I come off as trustworthy and I also speak enough Spanish that they know they can't take advantage of me. If I was renting to the average foreigner in BA I would maybe take the precaution of charging them a larger deposit, who knows. But it depends on the person.

This is why I made this thread, because I've been used to such low deposits I was really surprised this agency was demanding that much. I'm not taking that apt. though (for other reasons, again).

AlexfromLA said:
If i'm mistaken, I'd like to see links to reputable websites that say otherwise. You can't even rent a car with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. Let's be serious,

You can rent my place, it has a u$s 300 security deposit, it's rented through LetsGoArgentina.com I assume the security deposit is the same for all apartments?

stayba-vacation-rental.jpg

I only took a u$s300 security deposit on my apartment in Bariloche
I'm currently living there myself, but if I was to rent again the security deposit would be the same.

Lol @ me being obtuse.

I am just asking to see a link of any Agency that will rent a high end apartment with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. You don't even have to post a link to the specific apartment if you don't want to, even though it sounds " shady " that you wouldn't want to. I mean, if it's such a good deal, why not share the information with other forum members right ?

I just know all the top agencies in Buenos Aires and know that none of them would do this, it is reckless. You keep saying that renting an apartment and asking for a full months deposit only happens to naive foreigners. Have you ever been tot he USA ? I guess we are all naive foreigners there too right ? Becuase a full months deposit is the least someone will ask for.

I think the naivete would be on the part of any owner that would rent his or her apartment to a complete stranger and only ask for $ 200 usd as a damage deposit. I think anyone who owns property and rents it out would agree.

You try doing it sometime and tell me how it works out for you.

now again

YQ11N.jpg

Not what I would call high end, but like I said i'm sure there are some apartments to be had. You're assuming alot of risk if you are the owner. I don't know any owners who would do the same.

jez said:
You can rent my place, it has a u$s 300 security deposit, it's rented through LetsGoArgentina.com I assume the security deposit is the same for all apartments?

stayba-vacation-rental.jpg

I only took a u$s300 security deposit on my apartment in Bariloche
I'm currently living there myself, but if I was to rent again the security deposit would be the same.

AlexfromLA said:
Lol @ me being obtuse.

I am just asking to see a link of any Agency that will rent a high end apartment with a $ 200 usd damage deposit. You don't even have to post a link to the specific apartment if you don't want to, even though it sounds " shady " that you wouldn't want to. I mean, if it's such a good deal, why not share the information with other forum members right ?

I just know all the top agencies in Buenos Aires and know that none of them would do this, it is reckless. You keep saying that renting an apartment and asking for a full months deposit only happens to naive foreigners. Have you ever been tot he USA ? I guess we are all naive foreigners there too right ? Becuase a full months deposit is the least someone will ask for.

I think the naivete would be on the part of any owner that would rent his or her apartment to a complete stranger and only ask for $ 200 usd as a damage deposit. I think anyone who owns property and rents it out would agree.

You try doing it sometime and tell me how it works out for you.

now again

YQ11N.jpg

I've already said everything I have to say about this and, as you can see, other people are saying the same. I have no reason to lie. It sounds like you have a reason to be so interested in this...you rent apartments, right?

In the US, that's a different story, not every rental market is the same. In Tokyo you need to give the owner "key money." So?

jez said:
I assume the security deposit is the same for all apartments?

I just looked at the website you posted :

http://letsgoargentina.com/home/propview.php?id=AP364

This is what I would call a high end apartment.

These are their general terms and conditions :

Deposit: (for stays less than 1 month): 1weeks rent
(for stays more than 1 month): 2weeks rent

As a weeks rent is usually 33-40% of a months rent, the damage deposit on a full months stay would be around 66-80%. That sounds a little low but basically within the realm of reasonable.

And you might want to ask them to update your property info because they are asking for 2 weeks rent as a damage deposit for your apartment or $ 860 USD on their website.

Which is reasonable.

Actually, I don't have a reason other than to contribute my knowledge to this forum. Yes I rent the apartments I own, but no I don't advertise on here. Specifically for this reason. I'm here to contribute and pass the time.

And no most people on here aren't saying the same. Except the guy advertising on here, even though the agency he works with says something completely different.

http://letsgoargentina.com/home/propview.php?id=AP365

The website is asking for 2 WEEKS rent for his apartment ( $ 795 on a $ 1295 apartment which is reasonable, but not $ 300 ).

I just asked to see the type of apartment you rented for a $ 200 damage deposit, I didn't expect you to get all shady about it and refuse to post a link as if in some way that was wrong.

People post links to websites and apartments they rented here all the time. I'm just wondering why you wouldn't do the same. Chances are either you made a really good side deal with an owner, one they won't be willing to reproduce with another client or this never really happened.

polostar88 said:
I've already said everything I have to say about this and, as you can see, other people are saying the same. I have no reason to lie. It sounds like you have a reason to be so interested in this...you rent apartments, right?

In the US, that's a different story, not every rental market is the same. In Tokyo you need to give the owner "key money." So?

In Argentina, they ask for a Guarantia, and 1-2 months rent as a damage deposit. So ?

The website is generally out of date. To the best of my knowledge (the contracts left in the apartment after check-out) they have always just taken a u$s300 security deposit

Back