Airfares To Europe 50% Cheaper From Chile/uruguay

I just checked for flights to London, Uruguay is not massively cheaper than Buenos Aires. I would save around 1500 pesos, something but not substantial. Brazil is different if I recall, but I have not checked for a while.

Sometimes leaving from Foz de Iguazu in Brazil and returning direct to Bs As can bring the price down

I looked at this, but it was like a 36 hour jaunt around the world. Fly to Rio (Sao Paulo perhaps), then up to one of Dallas/Miami/New York/Toronto, and then on to the UK. I have slept in airports instead of getting hotels when I used to travel, but I am too lazy for that now. So, I did not fancy it (added to the flight or bus from BA to Foz), despite the admittedly considerable savings.

Also check free stopovers. Last time I went to Europe, I needed to go to Amsterdam. It was about 200 Euros cheaper to go to Madrid, which would make sense as it is closer. But in this case I flew KLM, so via AMS to MAD. KLM's base is AMS, so you can get free stopovers. My frist stopover was 2 months, then 2 weeks to Spain, then another stopover of 3 days to organize my luggage for the way back to Brazil.

Let me repeat that, South America - AMS-MAD -AMS -South America was cheaper than just SA-AMS-SA. So two extra flights and 200 euros less per person.
I hate to burn more carbon than needed, but it gave us a great opportunity to visit friends in Spain and save while doing it.

Anyway, moral of the story: check other destinations, while passing through where you actually want to go.

Back