Alicia Castro's Letter To The Guardian

Oh... and there were actually ethnic Germans in Poland.

Oh... and there were actually ethnic Germans in Poland.

In fairness, there were (and still are) a handful of Argentines in the Islands. One of them whom I know well occupied a high administrative position in the local civil service. Another was a policewoman (not sure what she's doing now). Another owns a sheep station on West Falkland with her Islander husband.

As explained to foreigners:

Argentina celebrating the day they invaded the Falklands is like Germany having a national holiday and celebrating the day they invaded Poland.

Only Germany controlled Poland for more than 79 days.

celebration? its a date to commemorate "los caidos"...

Los caidos? More like los sacrificiados. I think the holiday would most accurately be called a "day to commemorate argentine hubris, inherent fascist impulse, stupidity and relentless unwillingness or to accept reality". That might be useful. Fat chance.

Los caidos? More like los sacrificiados. I think the holiday would most accurately be called a "day to commemorate argentine hubris, inherent fascist impulse, stupidity and relentless unwillingness or to accept reality". That might be useful. Fat chance.

For us, the neighboring countries, it was the "day of revelations". This is how we viewed Argentina's generals:

BEFORE THE FALKLAND WAR
7TJIq3u.jpg

AFTER THE FALKLAND WAR
Larmata-Brancaleone2.jpg

As partial to anachronistic Freudian therapy as porteños are you would think by now they (government ministers) would have better insight to their compulsion to project and deny. And wouldn't do it so much or so shamelessly. Hmm....of course not. They're all taking their marching (not to mention eat, sleep and breathe) orders from Cristina so projection and denial are de rigueur.

I will agree about the hubris and unwillingness to accept reality, but I think the "inherent fascist impulse" is unfair. It exists in Argentina, but it is far from universal.

Back