Amazing how expensive BsArs is

For everyone feeling the pinch, I would suggest shopping at small shops - you know, veggie place, bakery, chicken place, meats place.

While shopping at supermarkets (Disco, Jumbo) is certainly really quite pricey now, I still find shopping at these small places gives me far better value for money than Canada. In fact I'm amazed at how much I get for my money on a daily basis. It is so much more expensive than before but still, the value is there.

And even then - bag of green grapes at Disco for 11 pesos? In Canada, that could very easily be $9-11. There are still good deals on fresh produce overall. It's the packaged foods that can be shockingly expensive. Nevermind alcohol - there is NO wine, nevermind decent wine, for under 35-40 pesos in Canada. A very average bottle starts at 40 pesos. If you go to a restaurant, a bottle of wine will never be less than the cost of your main entree.

I'm not suggesting that Argentina and Canada are comparable in terms of cost of living/ spending power etc - of course not - but I just think it's kind of silly to act as though Buenos Aires is now more expensive than Canada (and much of Europe) when for many (not all), their grocery costs are more along the lines of shopping at premium grocery stores like Whole Foods or, to a lesser degree, Loblaws.

Going out for dinner? 1-200 pesos to be stuffed and wined at nice enough places (more for nicer, obviously). With apps, a drink and a main, you can spend that (and probably more) at horrible chain restaurants like Olive Garden or East Side Mario's.

Again, not saying prices aren't creeping up majorly, I just don't agree with the view that it's more expensive here in the least.

I find Argentina affordable as my purchasing power and desire is curtailed here:

I only by clothes in necessity as the quality is poor
Import restrictions lead me to a gadget free life
I meticulously prune, care for and augment my computer to keep it up to date
I make much of my own food; bread, jams, chutneys etc.
I frequent house parties more than bars
Dinner at friends houses rather than restaurants or delivery
I'm learning to drink the local whisky

In the UK I would be buying rounds in pubs, competing with my friends on nights out (a London thing where being more generous indicates more success)
Fine dining, expensive supermarket ready meals
Expensive travel and accommodation to events
Capital hopping around Europe
Tailored clothes and designer brands
Own a car
Regular travel between country house - London

I'm not ashamed to admit, I am a very different person in Argentina. Looking at that list I'm probably a bit of a tit in London. My accountant is continually amazed at my expenses down here.

The point is, it is more expensive here, but you are not necessarily living the same lifestyle here that you would do back in your native land.
Unless you are a tourist, polo-pat, diplobrat or business postee.

There's also no way NYC is cheaper! Rent is at leat 3 times as much. Restaurants, taxis, utilities, subway-all cost much more. Perhaps a few groceries are cheaper, and some clothes, but come on.....

katti said:
you have spelt bread?????

Oh, not in Buenos Aires. I wish. But 100% spelt bread is quite popular in Ireland, where I am right now (1.99 for a loaf.)

jb5 said:
There's also no way NYC is cheaper! Rent is at leat 3 times as much. Restaurants, taxis, utilities, subway-all cost much more. Perhaps a few groceries are cheaper, and some clothes, but come on.....
Amen as far as Miami. I moved back here from BA in December. Living here is like having your wallet attached to a vacuum cleaner.

rrptownley said:
I find Argentina affordable as my purchasing power and desire is curtailed here: {...}

I'm not ashamed to admit, I am a very different person in Argentina. Looking at that list I'm probably a bit of a tit in London. My accountant is continually amazed at my expenses down here.

The point is, it is more expensive here, but you are not necessarily living the same lifestyle here that you would do back in your native land.
Unless you are a tourist, polo-pat, diplobrat or business postee.

a) hilarious :)

b) I still don't think it's more expensive here in terms of $ value, not purchasing power. This thread in general is discussing increasing cost of items not ability to purchase.

Fine dining in London? let's say 200 GBP (and I know that's the low end of 'fine' but anyhow). That's about 1400 pesos here. Comparable 'fine' dining here? 6-800 pesos.

I still find it reasonably inexpensive here as long as you aren't earning pesos. It's not a different level of pricing (like, Mexico or Thailand cheap), but you get way more for your money.

starlucia said:
Oh, not in Buenos Aires. I wish. But 100% spelt bread is quite popular in Ireland, where I am right now (1.99 for a loaf.)

Oh do you mean wheaten bread? Just back from Ireland and had it for breakfast this morning...yum!

I wonder how this will end.. if the current inflation continues in a couple of years prices will be getting really absurd. Seems though that Christina will continue hemorrhaging the economy to make sure it doesnt run it's natural course to a major devaluation whilst she's in power. Where else could it go though?

El chabon said:
In Amsterdam just the food in the supermarket, electronics and clothes are cheaper

Rent = 1300/1500 euro
Nonsense, this may be the rent for a expat in the centre of Amsterdam but even in Amsterdam are the normal rents much lower. I pay 366 for a two rooms apartment and the most are between 350 and 800 euros.

Train trip 100 km return ticket = 40 euro's
Then again: if you have a discount card it's half price.

Movies, coke, popcorn = 11 euro's
again: it depends. I go to a cinema and don't spend more than 6 euros.
etc etc
It depends absolutely if you're a established habitant or an expat living for a few months, then you pay the prices you're talking about.
And for sure: Argentina is disgusting expensive.

mariano-BCN said:
El chabon said:
In Amsterdam just the food in the supermarket, electronics and clothes are cheaper

Rent = 1300/1500 euro
Nonsense, this may be the rent for a expat in the centre of Amsterdam but even in Amsterdam are the normal rents much lower. I pay 366 for a two rooms apartment and the most are between 350 and 800 euros.

Train trip 100 km return ticket = 40 euro's
Then again: if you have a discount card it's half price.

Movies, coke, popcorn = 11 euro's
again: it depends. I go to a cinema and don't spend more than 6 euros.
etc etc
It depends absolutely if you're a established habitant or an expat living for a few months, then you pay the prices you're talking about.
And for sure: Argentina is disgusting expensive.

So you are comparing a life as a local/native/resident in Holland to an expat in Argentina. Really?

You are again talking bullshit, social housing is not freely available and it takes normally 6 to 8 years to even get into social housing and it's not freely available to anyone.

And chance are social-housing will get a lot more expensive.

You just talk total non-sense

Back