Amazon/camera/NYC

katti

Registered
As my camera broke down and I need a new one to go to NYC in jan, I thought I'd buy it on amazon and let it be sent to my hotel in NYC.

First of all I never bought electronics on amazon, secondly I never had anything send to a hotel before.

Anyone who has and was (or wasn't) happy with it?

I could also buy it in a store when I arrive, but I am affraid it will not be in stock and that I will be in NY without camera, with would be a desaster for me.

Anyone who can advise me?
thanks!

Bought electronics via Amazon - always without problems. Generally things arrive within a few days. However, allow several days longer than claimed for shipping. As soon as you make an Amazon purchase you get a confirmation email, then later a shipped confirmation email. If these emails indicate that the item has not shipped as expected or there is some other glitch investigate right away. Lastly if you order other items at the same time, they may combine items and wait till they have all arrived before shipping or separate them into separate shipments, so look at the shipping dates of all items before ordering them together.

Further to this, has anyone bought other stuff, e.g. external hard drive, from Amazon and had it delivered to BA. I bot a book and paid no duty/taxes, but wondering how they treat electronic goods here?

katti said:
I could also buy it in a store when I arrive, but I am affraid it will not be in stock and that I will be in NY without camera, with would be a desaster for me.

NYC is a great place to by a camera. Go on line and see what stores stock the make and model you want. I bought from Ritz: www.ritzcamera.com/

Just enter "camera stores nyc" in the google search box.

The results are impressive.

BOOKS PAY NO TARIFF DUTIES, BUT ELECTRONICS WILL PAY 50% SURCHARGE, INCLUDING THE SHIPPING COSTS!!!!
dO NOT SEND ANYTHING ELECTRONIC HERE, IT IS A HASTLE!!

steveinbsas said:
NYC is a great place to by a camera. Go on line and see what stores stock the make and model you want. I bought from Ritz: www.ritzcamera.com/

Just enter "camera stores nyc" in the google search box.

The results are impressive.

thanks, but they don't have what I want. :(

katti said:
thanks, but they don't have what I want. :(

Isn't there at least ONE store NYC that has what you want?

How many did you check?

steveinbsas said:
Isn't there at least ONE store NYC that has what you want?

How many did you check?

calumet doesn't have it, ritzcamera doesn't, adorama doesnt sell body only, 17th street photo doesn't have body only,

e-cost has it, amazon has it.

I don't know any other...

Hi katie--B&H Cameras--by far the best in NYC.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

If you call the hotel front desk to let them know you are expecting a package on xx date and can they pls sign and hold for you, I am sure they would be happy to accomodate you. Make sure you use charge card, for purchase and for insured delivery. (If your card provides such service).

Also, great store to visit and have a look see if you have the time while in NYC. Great selection and service! I end up spending way to much time in the store when I go in. So to restrain myself I have been recently ordering on line. Check the hours they are open- run by Orthodox Jews.

Good luck in finding what you want.:)

Back