Amazon/camera/NYC

gabor--ha! see we posted at same time.
if b&h doesn't have it--i am sure amazon will be just fine. plus they have good return policy ,if you have problems.

Have to agree about B&H... i get most of my equipment from them.
What camera are you looking for?

Mahara said:
Further to this, has anyone bought other stuff, e.g. external hard drive, from Amazon and had it delivered to BA. I bot a book and paid no duty/taxes, but wondering how they treat electronic goods here?

Many, if not most, items on Amazon that are not books cannot be shipped outside of the USA. You can try and see if you're able to, but when I went to buy non- book items and entered my Argentine address a message came up saying the items would not ship outside USA.

You can order products via Dell, they ship fairly quickly and very well, nothing arrives broken etc -- however when I ordered in the past they did request an Argentine DNI to be able to make the purchase -- not sure if it is like this now.

If you are going to NY, buy in B&H. It is the best, and most serious place without any doubts. Professional photographers around the world travel to NY to buy there. Over the past 20 years I have bought 5 professional systems with a wide variety of lenses... no one has their selection..... it might not be the cheapest but its also not on the expensive side.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I need a D5000 body only. Only in nov I bought one to "replace" my D700 which is way too heavy to put in my purse and carry along all day, moreover when I'm alone I'm too scarednto take it out.

So I go this D5000 which is light and good, took it to the polo finals, got soaked with the rain, brought it to Nikon, 80$ to fix the lens, 2900$ to fix the camera "if they don't fi d other defects on the way".

I'll have another look at the store everyone seems to be recommending, the D5000 with kit lens costs 30 something more then on the Nikon site so that is not bad.

I have really learned a lesson here : now I always have a garbage bag in ly purse. Just in case...

Just checked b&h for fun and the body only (which isn't in stock) is $629 and the body with 18-55 lens is $649. I bet you could sell that lens for more than $20.

Try J&R in Manhattan. The warren of stores is a sight to behold. I have purchased from them online and in person and they sell plenty of cameras.

Agreed - B&H is by far the best option. Their selection is out of this world. But yes, check the hours - I think they're closed on Sat for the sabath.

If you would prefer to order, you can definitely have it delivered to the hotel. The only tricky part will be the timing (you won't be able to order it now & have it delivered in Jan).

personally, I would think it would be easier to buy in person but if not, just try to order it a few days before from amazon & then choose the shipping option that will ensure it gets there when you are at the hotel (maybe 2 day?)

I've bought a bunch of electronics, watches, etc from amazon & never had any problems.

syngirl said:
Many, if not most, items on Amazon that are not books cannot be shipped outside of the USA. You can try and see if you're able to, but when I went to buy non- book items and entered my Argentine address a message came up saying the items would not ship outside USA.

You can order products via Dell, they ship fairly quickly and very well, nothing arrives broken etc -- however when I ordered in the past they did request an Argentine DNI to be able to make the purchase -- not sure if it is like this now.

Eching the sentiments of, "Do NOT get electronics sent to BA!" It is a nightmare that you will live to regret. Period.

B&H, while a good store that has tons of stuff and prices that match Amazon, it is a complete madhouse. It is enormous, and always packed with people. I imagine it's even crazier during the holidays. If you want to hold stuff in your hands to help you decide if you want it, B&H is great. If you know what you want already, just get it shipped to your hotel. If it's a Real, Actual hotel, it will be no problem.

Back