American Tourist Stabbed In La Boca.

Glad to hear that the tourist is recovering, what I don't understand is the hospital expenses his cousin mentions, as far as I know Hospital Argerich is part of the public health system hence 100% free.

Glad to hear that the tourist is recovering, what I don't understand is the hospital expenses his cousin mentions, as far as I know Hospital Argerich is part of the public health system hence 100% free.

Like many others, he may have received initial treatment in a public hospital but transferred to a private facility for convalescence. Furthermore the GoFundMe does mention that the loss of work and the flights/stays of his direct family are a significant issue.

@Nikad - Not in BA, upon returning to LA in a few weeks. Follow up surgical procedures, in-patient and outpatient physical therapy, etc.
Healthcare in the US is unfortunately very expensive, sorry for the misunderstanding and hope he is on his way to a speedy recovery!

Glad it seems he is doing okay and will hopefully make a full recovery.

When my husband told me the news, he said "see why I didn't want to take you to la Boca?" :p

14 years visiting/living here and I've never been.
We don't live in the best part of town, but there's certain areas where it's just really risky... especially if you're carrying anything valuable. Unfortunately la Boca is one of those areas, and more unfortunate is that it is advertised as a must-see BA attraction, appearing in post cards and the like. I think that gives tourists a false sense of safety.

That off duty officer deserves commendation. Rare to see a cop step in like that, putting his own life and career in danger.

@Nikad - Not in BA, upon returning to LA in a few weeks. Follow up surgical procedures, in-patient and outpatient physical therapy, etc.

Perhaps the family does not know that the Hospital Churruka is absolutely free, for Argentines and foreigners alike.

The GoFundMe page specifically mentions the costs of the BA's hospital stay. "... the long flight from Buenos Aires to his home in Los Angeles makes it likely that he will need to spend substantial time in a Buenos Aires hospital. The costs of his hospital stay, coupled with his inability to work, make for a financial hardship that this fund hopes to alleviate."

I'm sure they did everything posible to save him but multiple organs were damaged by the bullet from what I read.

I agree. With a hospital doctor "in the family" so to speak, it's clear to me that they go above and beyond with all emergencies regardless of background.

@onthebring - I did not personally write the gofundme page and the family member that did is updating it to be clear, its intended to cover his ongoing medical care, travel costs and lost wages as he's self employed.

The mistake is understandable. With medical care so expensive in the US, it is strange to learn that Arg. public hospitals are free. I believe it's the same in France, but don't know whether that is the case in other Latin American countries.

Back