American Tourist Stabbed In La Boca.

The mistake is understandable. With medical care so expensive in the US, it is strange to learn that Arg. public hospitals are free. I believe it's the same in France, but don't know whether that is the case in other Latin American countries.

The USA is the exception not the rule it is the same in many countries. Wall Street needs to make money on every little thing and the lawyer infection is in the USA is worse than the black plague. American lawyers most not all are the scum of the earth followed by many of the CEOs etc. Americans are fools they think they have the greatest country in the world, they have freedom and liberty they are so brain washed it is almost pathetic but in reality sooooo sad. I thank God I came here such an awakening. Soon I shall no longer be a slave to America.

The mistake is understandable. With medical care so expensive in the US, it is strange to learn that Arg. public hospitals are free. I believe it's the same in France, but don't know whether that is the case in other Latin American countries.

No personal experience of either but I understand Uruguay has free public health care for those that need it while Cuba is public healthcare only - though I believe tourists have to pay to access it.

Most US Americans have health insurance, and I'm assuming he's not poor since he was traveling, and might even have travel insurance which pays for his flight back to his home.
N

Glad it seems he is doing okay and will hopefully make a full recovery.

When my husband told me the news, he said "see why I didn't want to take you to la Boca?" :p

14 years visiting/living here and I've never been.
We don't live in the best part of town, but there's certain areas where it's just really risky... especially if you're carrying anything valuable. Unfortunately la Boca is one of those areas, and more unfortunate is that it is advertised as a must-see BA attraction, appearing in post cards and the like. I think that gives tourists a false sense of safety.

That off duty officer deserves commendation. Rare to see a cop step in like that, putting his own life and career in danger.
There are 2 very good museums there, worth a visit. Be smart, no gold jewelry, silly hats etc.
Nancy

Carter,

My thoughts and well wishes go out to your family and cousin. Sorry he had to go through this. Best of luck

No personal experience of either but I understand Uruguay has free public health care for those that need it while Cuba is public healthcare only - though I believe tourists have to pay to access it.

Uruguay has free health "care" only for Uruguayans, who avoid public hospitals like the plague. They don't have doctors, medicines, bandages, or anything else. So, most locals choose to pay into mutualistas, private health care systems charging hefty copayments for everything.

Most US Americans have health insurance, and I'm assuming he's not poor since he was traveling, and might even have travel insurance which pays for his flight back to his home.
N

Not sure this is true. Many millions do not have health insurance and it seems under the current US Administration many more are likely to lose coverage. Also I don't think many insurance policies cover treatment outside the US. Affluent Americans may buy travel coverage but I suspect a lot, especially budget travellers, never do so and take their chances.,

I'm just saying..... if he is a tourist he most probably is NOT poor and has health care and travel insurance.
N

My post is not meant as a commentary on the individual circumstances of the tourist who was recently attacked in La Boca.

In conversations I have had over the years with tourists from first-world countries, it continues to amaze me that they do not purchase insurance for stays under 30 days while traveling in Latin America. Many comment they believe it may be less expensive to pay out-of-pocket. In most cases that may turn out to be an accurate deduction.

Likewise many ARG frequent travelers do so without short-term med ins. I personally know of one who developed a high fever while in Paris last year. Requested the hotel to call a physician who came immediately. It turned out to be bronchitis. The culture shock hit when the spouse was presented with the bill for the visit + meds....$100 euros. Upon inquiring, the cost would have been slightly less had my friend got out of bed and sought care at a private clinic. Nevertheless, in this case, it turned out to be more expedient and cheaper than had they purchased travel ins prior to departure.

The speculation on his personal wealth is pointless. Especially considering many people travel the world with no money, working as they go for example. Being in Argentina coming from the US does not mean he has money. I have never had travel insurance in my life and only now (getting older) understand how stupid that has been. Suggesting being from the US means he has health insurance is also just untrue, there is a massive problem in the US on this issue. It seems a few posters here are out of touch with how many people choose to travel. I cam here from the UK with $1,000 to my name, was I well off?

Also, let's not forget it's a crowdfunding project, you don't have to give money.

The most interesting aspect of this case is being ignored. The fact that one of Argentina's biggest tourist attractions is located in a toilet. When I did the frankly awful city bus tour someone hit me in the eye with a stone when driving through La Boca. Without a little bit of luck I would have lost my eye, I am sure.

Back