An ideal car to buy for use in BA

We bought a brand new 4 door hatchback VW Gol at the VW dealership in 2009 for about $45,000 pesos. I loved the car, but we had to trade for an automatic. The 2 door ones are cheaper.

insurance depends on lots of things, value/age/what you want to insure.
Its probably between 1000-1500 pesos a month for a full insurance. (including stealing of tires, hailstones etc)

We only insure for 'responsabilidad civil' and pay about 250 pesos a month.

Coverage on a 1994 Peugeot 405 includes responsibilidad civil, fire and theft for $20,000, as well as $500 for tires (one tire) and $1000 in glass replacement...$225 pesos per month.

The Bora is one of the most sought after cars for armed robbery/ high speed getaways in Argentina because its pretty much faster than anything the police have and it handles curves perfectly at very high speed. If you buy one, get top insurance cover and buy a bright red or yellow one.... NOT BLACK !!!

How is Renault Logan for 75000 pesos cost. ANy good?

i want to buy a car if it gets lost or stolen or deliberately dented..I carry on with my life without losing sleep over it.

I have several friends that have a Peugeot 307 and they are very happy with it. They are relatively small, yet has room if you need it, powerful enough and they retain their values fairly well.

Ceviche said:
I know, it may sound like a joke.

By any chance, any of the cheap/low end models of Audi or BMW or Mercedes will be available for under 25k us$?

Absolutely NOT. BMWs, Audis, Mercedes are at least double the cost as they are in the USA. Plus the license plate fee on them each year is high and also remember if you have a DNI you have to pay annual asset taxes on the car as well.

I don't think it's worth buying one of these luxury cars. Case in point, with tax/title/license I paid $75,000 US for a totally loaded Audi Q7 TDI last year in the USA. One of my friends in Argentina bought the same Q7 but with even less features and he paid over $150,000 US in Buenos Aires.

The worst thing is when you have any issues with the car, they most times can't even get the parts to fix it with these blocks on imported parts. It totally sucks! So I'd stay away from the higher end luxury models. Plus they are going to be more of a target for thieves.

JMHO.

Back