An Iguana 40 Cm Long Just Run In Front Of Me

I live 40 kms North of BA and I noticed holes in my garden, quite big. Was wondering what kind of animal this could be. Turns out it's an iguana!

I live 650 kms south of BA and I noticed holes in my garden, quite big. Was wondering what kind of animal this could be.

Never saw anything big enough to make the holes until after I cut down the high grass that covered almost two thirds of the property.

Turns out they're jackrabbits!

And they're as big as jackrabbits!

PS: I only saw the one largarto overo that was outside my kitchen door one time, about four years ago, but it must still be around. I have yet to see a single rat near my house. The feral cats (less than six that only visit occasionally) may also help keep their numbers under control.

...but two weeks ago I did see a tarantula crossing the road a few hundred meters from my house.

I was in my car and, even from a distance, there was little doubt what it was. I stopped and got out of my car for a closer look. It continued it's crossing without reacting to my presence. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me.

PPS: That was the first tarantula I've seen since my arrival and no one ever told me they lived around here or to watch out for them. I have yet to see a scorpion, though I've been told that they are not uncommon in a nearby "village" which is actually on the coast. In Mexico it was not uncommon to find them inside my house and occasionally on the bedroom floor. It's amazing how many times I thought a clump of dust was a scorpion!

I live 650 kms south of BA and I noticed holes in my garden, quite big. Was wondering what kind of animal this could be.

Never saw anything big enough to make the holes until after I cut down the high grass that covered almost two thirds of the property.

Turns out they're jackrabbits!

And they're as big as jackrabbits!

PS: I only saw the one largarto overo that was outside my kitchen door one time, about four years ago, but it must still be around. I have yet to see a single rat near my house. The feral cats (less than six that only visit occasionally) may also help keep their numbers under control.

...but two weeks ago I did see a tarantula crossing the road a few hundred meters from my house.

I was in my car and, even from a distance, there was little doubt what it was. I stopped and got out of my car for a closer look. It continued it's crossing without reacting to my presence. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me.

Steve, you should open a safari-estancia! I loved your pictures and these tales.
I saw many largartos overos in Misiones, they are quite impressive. I had never seen such a big reptile unless at the zoo!

DSC06943.jpg

I spotted this big lagarto in Tandil while mountaing biking.

Back