Another Argentina Story........

cruizes

Registered
After days and days of going here and there I have come up with the following observations.

Tourist police are as useful as the police you see on the street corners smoking and talking on the phone. They would not even fill a report because they said that the landlady did not take $1000US from me physically so it's not a police matter. WTF

Also after speaking with 2 attorneys I have found out that the FOREIGNER WILL NEVER WIN IN ARGENTINA! You can send all types of letters to the landlady but unless you want to actually go to court, and pay for it, there is no way she has to return SHIT! Again WTF

So in summary I was told to always expect your deposit to be lost. So if there is something in your apartment that you want to keep or sell I would definately do it. You have nothing to lose because I was also told that you wouldn't go to jail because no one goes to jail in Argentina. This was told to me by a lawyer. And does anyone think that things will ever get better here?

VIVA ARGENTINA

Was there a need to post the same thing as a separate thread? I think you posted this on the original one (?). If I had been you, I wouldn´t have left the apartment, and / or would have stayed until the deposit money has been used...

Report her to AFIP.

Sadly this doesn't help you in the slightest, but it makes life very uncomfortable for you landlady.

This story isn't round for me especially with those emotionally addressed literature like no one goes to jail in Argentina.

If you sign a contract - which you did I assume - then excuse me, but with a rental where the deposit cost "only" 1000US$, then I have hard time to believe there isn't a background to initiate a legal case.

The story is sad if true but I have a feeling you don't have a written rental contract (for whatever reason), and this is the root of your problem.
In this case it's indeed impossible to get revenge or the money back on legal grounds.

cruizes said:
Tourist police are as useful as the police you see on the street corners smoking and talking on the phone. They would not even fill a report because they said that the landlady did not take $1000US from me physically so it's not a police matter....
I have a feeling we are somehow missing some important information.

Do you have a contract?
If yes, does it specifically state that you have deposited U$S 1,000.-?
If yes again, what does it say about repayment of deposit?
If yes once more, is your contract notarialized?
Why should you receive your deposit (end of contract, premature termination, ...)?
etc.?

I don't understand why police should or could act on this without a court order. I understand that the situation sucks, but if police could act on such stuff they would more than once take a wrong decision or simply abuse their power. I can't imagine that in any developed country, you can go to the police, tell them "this person owes me 1000$" (no matter whether it is a deposit or a loan or whatever) and they get it for you.

What is true about Argentina is that there is a culture of ripping people off. Because of that, friends, relatives, etc. are extremely important because that's basically the only source of trust (and don't forget that for many, friendship is only important until the money at stake is enough). I understand that this is not much of a help when you come as a tourist. Just had to be said.

cruizes said:
Feel better now?

You like us all to feel as negative as you are about Argentina? Maybe your attitude has caused all these problems!!!!

Landlords in BA have told me that contracts are "fluid" and basically only guidelines. One even said they didn't want to rent to me because I have a DNI which entitled me to the same protection as Argentines. Getting your deposit returned takes a lot of time, energy and frustration. Maybe a little more than usual.

In the end, renting sucks. No matter what country you live in. Complaining doesn't change the situation, but it does help us to connect with others who can commiserate.

Good luck with what you're going through. And try to keep in perspective that this could and will happen anywhere, not just in Argentina.

cabrera said:
You like us all to feel as negative as you are about Argentina? Maybe your attitude has caused all these problems!!!!
Yeah, that's right dumb ass!!!! Maybe if you are lucky you will be the next victim. We can only hope so. OMG another "local" with an arrogant attitude, how original!

Back