Another Argentina Story........

Not to be devils advocate... but it did state at some point that he was a massage therapist in the residence. (running a business)
As a landlord myself... the liability/wear and tear on the property...having people come and go...would not be cool. Of course I would mention/give warning...if the property was not good for this ..neighbors etc.. would still return deposit ...unless damage/complaints not respected etc..
Some landlords/tenants have no concept of mutual respect... think they are 100% correct. Reality...My house..not your house. You act like an ass...get the F out. Sounds like... 90% land lady an ass... but you were not 100% right either? Still...give deposit back...call it a day..get another tenant.
Too often tenants treat your property like a hotel...and you as their concierge.

cbphoto said:
Not to be devils advocate... but it did state at some point that he was a massage therapist in the residence. (running a business)
As a landlord myself... the liability/wear and tear on the property...having people come and go...would not be cool. Of course I would mention/give warning...if the property was not good for this ..neighbors etc.. would still return deposit ...unless damage/complaints not respected etc..
Some landlords/tenants have no concept of mutual respect... think they are 100% correct. Reality...My house..not your house. You act like an ass...get the F out. Sounds like... 90% land lady an ass... but you were not 100% right either? Still...give deposit back...call it a day..get another tenant.
Too often tenants treat your property like a hotel...and you as their concierge.

But nothing has actually been said about physical damage to the apt. According to the OP, the landlady's original reason for keeping the deposit was that she had provided a sofa and bed -- and now it's because of visitors? Sounds like she'd never intended to return the deposit, and is just making up crackpot excuses as a way to justify it. I mean, seriously... having VISITORS as a reason to withhold a deposit? That's one of the most illegal and ridiculous things I've ever heard.

cbphoto said:

Your point is that you believe that tenants should have no guests ? When you rent properties does your contract state this ? Only then can you claim damages for excessive wear and tear that is proven to be from your tenancy.

I believe in the case of Cruizes that the owner is wrong and legally she is liable . People have a right to privacy and discretion . If you are respectful as a tenant with the space having a massage theraphist is a storm in a teacup .

I never said she should not get her deposit back...
I am merely stating that using a private residence, to run a business is a no no in most rental contracts. Reason being that one gets much more foot traffic. The property has much more access to people that don't actually live in the premises.
Were there complaints from other neighbors? Repeated complaints that were ignored?
Any break-ins in other units that the landlord could argue were her clients...
All I am saying.. you left the door wide open for a corrupt landlord to refuse to return your deposit. That being said... from most complaints I have heard in Capital..in regards to landlords...the #1, is not returning your deposit.

I'm confused - was it that the OP has a massage therapist over or was running a business as a massage therapist while living in the apt? If it's the former - absolutely well within his rights and crazy that the landlord would even make it an issue. If it's the latter, depending on the contract, he could be in violation of his lease. I know my lease had a clause about not being able to utilize the apt for commercial purposes.

cbphoto said:
I never said she should not get her deposit back...
I am merely stating that using a private residence, to run a business is a no no in most rental contracts. Reason being that one gets much more foot traffic.
I'm sorry but can you read everything before committing? It clearly says that on Tuesday I have a massage in my apartment. PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD. Where did it ever say that I was running a business. And one for the record, I am not a "she", I am a "he". AND THAT'S THE TRUTH! I appreciate most of the comments here but somehow people love to blow the truth out of proportion.

fvrconst said:
Oh man you have all my empathy but I just have this lurking feeling that you pissed her off.
I pissed her off because I wasn't going to pay double the rent without any notice. So my only choice was to move out. She never showed up so I could return the keys and have her return the security deposit. So....in the meantime she is bitching saying that she can't return the deposit because (1) I abused the maid (wrong) (2) I didn't cancel Cablevision service. This was in my name and I was responsible (service cancelled) (3) I had undesirable people in my apartment (a friend helping me defend my rights). (4) Received a letter from her that says that in addition to the $1000US deposit there is also another $3000US that she is asking for damages. My friend (the undesirable one) was there the day we moved and knows that the apartment was in perfect condition. (5) There was a contract, ending on June 30th. She ordered me to vacate the apartment on June 30th (which I did) and she changed the locks on the door the morning of July 1st (portero told me).(6) I am waiting for her next lame excuse, maybe that the dog died!
So avoid her, Liliana Graciela Miculan. She is trouble! She is loose on the street of Buenos Aires and I guarantee that she will surface again. And the agent, Tomas Laffaye www.homesba.com watch out for this one. He takes the commission, writes a half-ass receipt on the back of the contract and then says "This is your problem"

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/48898_1498029043_8100_n.jpg
Liliana Graciela Miculan - The crook!

Stop whining and make her life hell the best way you can. Its obvious that the Argentine system to stop this abuse is broken, so do what is within your means. The easiest pressure point is to start a campaign against the agent. Post everywhere you can about how corrupt they are. Get friends to email them, create multiple gmail accounts and do the same. Start a blog. Send a letter through the mail every month to the apartment letting the current tenant know your plight.

I imagine the agent will eventually drop her property if you are persistent enough. It shouldnt be too hard to find her next agency... rinse and repeat.

It sounds like all you want is a pity party. Do something about it outside of the broken Argentine institutions.

My mistake..read somewhere you were a she..not a he.. And also that you were a massage therapist.. Sorry..I have a busy life and could not read both blogs in their entirety... So she sounds like a bitch (landlady).. and yes..I have been screwed by too many landlords in the past. I have also been screwed by too many tenants in the past.. hence I was saying it is not necessarily 100% her fault. Now reading that you had another post...months ago..writing in more detail about what the landlady and her agent of evil did.. seems she is a 100% in the wrong. That being said.. think you have vented enough to us on this matter.. I assume you have a new place..and never got your 1000$ back. You can either go through the correct channels to try to get your money back... unlikely. Out of principal can make sure she loses future tenants and $'s. But more than likely ..whatever you do. She will never learn/understand. She has most likely lied to herself for so many years about matters of taking money from others..that everyone in the world is a crook..except her. The longer you drive yourself bonkers over her...the worse off you will be

Back