Another hopeless dreamer...?

I already looked into the State Department as a means to live in BA, and it's out of the question. You'd have to stay in the US for a year to take the foreign service exam before being hired. My dad arranged for me to speak with the US Ambassador to Uruguay last time I was in Argentina and he told me that these days you need a M.A. in order to get hired.

Even basic embassy positions aren't viable as the employee must be legally able to work in that country. The US won't hook you up with a visa unless you're over there for a real job (State Department, Intelligence, etc) or you live there as a dependant under your parents who have diplomatic status.

SingForAbsolution said:
I already looked into the State Department as a means to live in BA, and it's out of the question. You'd have to stay in the US for a year to take the foreign service exam before being hired. My dad arranged for me to speak with the US Ambassador to Uruguay last time I was in Argentina and he told me that these days you need a M.A. in order to get hired.

Even basic embassy positions aren't viable as the employee must be legally able to work in that country. The US won't hook you up with a visa unless you're over there for a real job (State Department, Intelligence, etc) or you live there as a dependant under your parents who have diplomatic status.

It's actually this exactly. You guys are correct in saying diplomatic work is a match for me. It's actually something I'd like to get into some day- but I'm just not ready to knuckle down and go to grad school.... yet. I hear the argument all the time that if I stop I'll never go back- but I'm just not ready to commit to another 3 years in school at this point. *sigh*

It sounds like you've all got some wonderful ideas, and I'll start exploring them more ASAP. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay when I return in January (I'll have to be home to defend my undergrad thesis in ~March or so..) so perhaps I can start looking for work/housing options then?

I suppose my only other question (and this is logistics I guess...) would be if anyone knows about schools that hire people from the States vs. the UK? Most of the Argentines I know have been schooled in British English- and while the majority of the language is the same, there are certainly some grammatical rules/spellings/the accent that set us apart and I'm not sure how selective schools are about that kind of thing?

Thanks Again!

kiri-beth said:
I hear the argument all the time that if I stop I'll never go back- but I'm just not ready to commit to another 3 years in school at this point. *sigh*

I took 3 years off between college and law school. I doubt that I would have done as well in law school had I gone straight through.

Back