Another thread about extending tourist visas

US passport holders still need to apply and obtain a visa to enter Paraguay. But I recall it being cheaper, and perhaps is also easier to obtain (than a Brazil visa).

colonia is cheaper than migraciones. I paid 133 pesos for a return ticket today and I'll probably spend another 50 on lunch.

Two comments: if you go to migraciones, DO NOT COME early. This way y will not have to wait. If you come at noon or around it, you will have no wait, lines, etc., and will be attended right away (have done it twice). Or, to avoid the hassle whatsoever, do not go anywhere at all. Just come to airport 0 minutes earlier and you will pay exactly hte ame amunt ( 3oo pesos) to the expired visa

oksanache said:
Two comments: if you go to migraciones, DO NOT COME early. This way y will not have to wait. If you come at noon or around it, you will have no wait, lines, etc., and will be attended right away (have done it twice). Or, to avoid the hassle whatsoever, do not go anywhere at all. Just come to airport 0 minutes earlier and you will pay exactly hte ame amunt ( 3oo pesos) to the expired visa

I was not so lucky. Last time (~5 months ago) I went later in the morning, a cross woman built like a Mack truck told us in a not-so-friendly way that they only serve the first 50 people and that we would would have to come back the next day.

If you avoid airports you should n´t have problems. If you do, you have to wait 6 month before to come back or you can be deported.
However, if you are planning to be here some years, it is better to apply for a temporary residence.

Bajo_cero2 said:
If you avoid airports you should n´t have problems. If you do, you have to wait 6 month before to come back or you can be deported.
However, if you are planning to be here some years, it is better to apply for a temporary residence.

Based on what I have read in many posts here, nobody has to wait six months to return, either by plane or by boat. You can leave by plane with an expired visa (paying the $300 peso fine as you go) and come back as soon as you like. Many leave buy boat and return the same day without any problem. A few members have posted they were asked a few questions by scowling agents upon reentry, but I only know of two or three individuals (Dolly and LeavingBA to name two) who said they had major problems as a result of repeated visa overstays/renewals, but it's not common. Leaving BA wrote that he was given 5 days to leave the country when reentering, but there is good reason to doubt the veracity of the post.

If the law state that a foreigner can only be in Argentina 180 days of the year unless they have temporary residency (at the least), it is hardly being enforced.

Back