Any comments on the thumbprint scan and photo taken at arrival?

Following up on my post above.

I don't believe in telling people "if you don't like it, go back". But when it comes to immigration rules and regulations, I hold on to the opinion very strongly that when I'm visiting a country, whether I follow the culture or opinions of the people of that country or not, I should always follow the rules and regulations laid out by the immigration authorities of that country.

Its always a matter of trust between a country and a visitor when they let you in. Its no foreigners RIGHT or a matter of civil liberties to enter someone else's country. So when you enter a country, you are, in my opinion, doing so ready to follow the rules and regulations of the country, including immigration procedures, willingly.

As for Americans who are sick of TSA and their antics. Well, that's on you guys to step up against. I've visited countries all over the world. There are two airports where I've had to put up with extensive security checks because of my middle eastern look and the fact that I used to fly in from Dubai, Heathrow and Melbourne. What did I do? Nothing. Put up with it at the airport and then enjoyed Melbourne and tried to enjoy London. And went back home without a problem.

But after reading Argento's OP again, I understand that he doesn't like it. And I am not addressing him in this post.

I find the photo and scan annoying, but tolerable. What I find intolerable is the stupid kirchnerista propaganda that they play on the monitors while you're waiting on line.

One caution... I had some trouble getting through this time because the scanner would not read my US passport. At all. The agent started to look at me funny, as if it might be a false passport (which it is not!). Finally he did the data entry by hand. Upon arriving in the US I asked the US customs officer if he could look at the passport to see if anything was wrong with it. Nothing wrong with it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Napoleon said:
Brazil started doing this around January 1st (or so), 2004.

Brazil did this ONLY to US citizens. It was done as part of the "reciprocity" policy always adopted by Brazil. No biometric data was actually stored. The whole point was just to subject the US citizens to the same "humiliating" procedures Brazilians citizens were being submitted to by the US when trying to enter the country.

Back