any older expats out there

I'm an estadounidense myself, staring 50 in the eyes. I've been trying to free up some time to meet folks on the forum, but my one attempt failed on my end ;)

I live out in Pilar and am a homebody for the most part, so I have to get up the ganas to come in to town - the more notice the better sometimes.

Y'all come up with a date and place to get together and have a chat and I'll try to be there.

I found BAJoe's post interesting about the Wednesday Spanish for Expats social thing at Club Europa, for some time down the road. My wife is Paraguayan and speaks practically no English (although she is starting to learn and understands about 20% of what she hears). Unfortunately, not many of my expat friends speak good enough Spanish to hold a conversation, so we end up splitting up sometimes between the Spanish speakers and the English speakers at get-togethers.

It would be interesting for her to sit down and talk to some expats in Spanish, and I could probably get her to join an English speaking social event for Spanish speakers once she sees what the place is like.

Plus, I bet I could talk some of my expat friends in to coming down as well and finally learn some conversational Spanish, not "just enough to get by."

Do me some good too. I could hone my skills and learn better phrasing. Just don't want anyone making fun of my accent - I don't think I'll ever be able to talk like an Argentine :) I learned Mexican Spanish more than 25 years ago in High School and working construction side-by-side with Mexicans. Funny thing is, I do pronounce some words like an Argentine, but they are words I learned here. But trying to change completely would feel to me like me going to the UK and trying to talk with a regional UK accent.

well amigos lets try and get some things sorted and we can meet up somewhere for a yarn...as they say in Sussex....my email is [email protected] maybe it would be better if the people interested mail me,I am actually computer illiterate and these sort of forums give me "the willy's"....hehe....lookforward to hearing from you all....suerte Daniel

Hey all, shall be in BsAs from the 12th December!

I'm from Scotland & looking forward to meeting up with you guys!

Give me a shout if you get something arranged for after the 12th!

ciao
kirst

I am a baby boomer....born after WWII but before the Korean War. I left BA when I was 14 and come back almost every other year... This time around I am scouting BA for retirement in 2010... pretty exciting news to my Argentine family of over 100! I will definitely touch base for one of your get togethers. I will use my cousin's home in Belgrano for home base from December 14 onward.

wel chaps,I am thinking of coming to BA tomorow or Friday probably in the afternoon.City Mike seems interested in meeting,maybe for a curry,so anybody else like to come please let us know.Times you can meet etc.I would probably come to Retiro but I am not familiar with the area....some instructions for meeting places would be needed.Hope to see some of you lot then...chau Dani...my email [email protected]

blackburn said:
wel chaps,I am thinking of coming to BA tomorow or Friday probably in the afternoon.City Mike seems interested in meeting,maybe for a curry,so anybody else like to come please let us know.Times you can meet etc.I would probably come to Retiro but I am not familiar with the area....some instructions for meeting places would be needed.Hope to see some of you lot then...chau Dani...my email [email protected]

Well, it looks like we're meeting at 3pm tomorrow (4th December) at

TANDOOR - Cocina de la India
Laprida 1293, Buenos Aires.
Tel: 4821-3676
www.tandoor.com.ar

All welcome, it will be nice to meet you. The website has a menu.

Mike

Hey Blackburn,

I'm having a Baby Boomer Christmas party tomorrow. Starts at 7 ... goes to whenever. Homemade Baileys, Swedish meatballs, patio, good cheer and all that.

Private message me if you want the address.

BB
thanks for the invite,can you send your address to my email,[email protected]
I am not sure if I can make it today as it's nearly 3 now.I was thinking of comint to BA tomorrow(saturday)are you free.Anybody else out there fancy a chinwag?let me know the score.Dani

Back