Anyone else having problems getting dollars in?

This was just posted to a major newspaper

Thanks for the link and the info. So, I, as a freelance writer, have 5-days to report income, but the bank can take their sweet time about processing it and get my money to me.

The kindest thing I can say about Argentina's economy also has to do with a monkey and a football

Without a doubt it is getting strange and strained. I'm with HSBC. I've made U$ bank transfers from US in the past to my U$ account at HSBC Argentina. At that time received an e-mail to confirm the purpose. The funds then deposited, a large fee was charged. Bank manager had to make a reclamo to lower the fee to their 0.2% or so of the transfer amount.
Last week transferred dollars anew, a new type of e-mail instruction now to download and complete a 6 page form, sign every page, return the doc. One bank manager was completely undone, giving me useless or erroneous advice. Another one took charge and filed the 6 page document. On the ball.
My U$ wire deposited to the U$ account at HSBC Arg. The local bank transfer fee this time was charged in pesos to my peso account.
Today, looking to convert the U$ to pesos - I was unable to do so on the HSBC phone app, at my online bank account, at the ATM. Finally the bank manager got the conversion done for me by telephone. I had managed to get in the door of the bank at 5 min til 3 pm. When the lock the doors. Harrowing experience. One bank manager's excuse was a casual 'This is Argentina'.
I have a 2nd wire transfer in U$ to HSBC Arg that has been received here but not credited yet. Vamos a ver tomorrow.
I should add I am transferring my pension funds. Am not a Freelancer. This may be why they're allowing a U$ transfer to go into my local U$ account.

Last edited:
You definitely just mentioned the second part of my complaint -- piss poor customer service.

Yeah, I know CS is high on anyone's priority here, but I'd like to think that bank employees were more than a simple side step from the people that wear paper hats and say, "You want fries with that?"

I guess I'm just an optimist.

HSBC, eh? I've been using Galacia. Maybe time to change.

Today the Macri govmt clarified the situation. Simply put, anybody billing your work overseas will be paid in pesos here.

You definitely just mentioned the second part of my complaint -- piss poor customer service.
Yeah, I know CS is high on anyone's priority here, but I'd like to think that bank employees were more than a simple side step from the people that wear paper hats and say, "You want fries with that?"
I guess I'm just an optimist.
HSBC, eh? I've been using Galacia. Maybe time to change.
As the saying goes, your mileage may vary - with bank customer support. There are a few that stand out. And then there's the rest, and professional? they redefine the term.
I've only known HSBC here in Argentina and both times opening accounts was luckily shoe-horned in. Better or worse I do not know. So far eventually things get worked out with them. 'You pays your money and you takes your chances'

I would suggest that you go to the central, main office of your bank, if you have to transfer dollars here that will be converted into pesos. At first I was doing this through my local branch office of Banco Provincia and it was taking a while, or once it didn't happen at all. That time (and from thereafter) I went to the central office in the microcentro, to their office of comercio exterior, and the transfer happened so much faster.

Last edited:
Today the Macri govmt clarified the situation. Simply put, anybody billing your work overseas will be paid in pesos here.

Yeah, well, that's fine by me. I don't care if they want to convert it to sea shells. I just want the process to move faster. 7-days, a 6-page form to complete for EACH transaction is just short of insane.

I would suggest that you go to the central, main office of your bank, if you have to transfer dollars here that will be converted into pesos. At first I was doing this through my local branch office of Banco Provincia and it was taking a while, or once it didn't happen at all. That time (and from thereafter) I went to the central office in the microcentro, to their office of comercio exterior, and the transfer happened so much faster.
That's an idea. I may have to make another trip. Last year when BancoGalacia messed up my account, the local branch wouldn't work fast enough, so I went to the main office, threatened to tear the doors off and had my money in 15-minutes.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary - with bank customer support. There are a few that stand out. And then there's the rest, and professional? they redefine the term.
I've only known HSBC here in Argentina and both times opening accounts was luckily shoe-horned in. Better or worse I do not know. So far eventually things get worked out with them. 'You pays your money and you takes your chances'
I think the quickest way to make a million dollars is to open a business in Argentina and give outstanding customer service. It's definitely something the populace hasn't seen.

Back