Anyone going to university here?

Fuyi

Registered
I'm thinking of going to university to study engineering, and I'm interested to hear a little about experiences from other people who went to a university here.. So, some q's:

* Which university did you go to?

* Was the quality of the teaching good? Did the professors have time to help you much?

* Did you get any learning support otherwise?

* If Spanish isn't your native language, was it easy to manage the language? Did you have to read and write everything in Spanish?

* Any other things that might occur.

Thanks

Are you in Buenos Aires, how is your Spanish? Which kind of engineering study are you looking for?

Systems engineering. Oral spanish is good, but written is poor and having to do all the reading/writing in spanish would be a real issue.

I guess you are in Buenos Aires. UBA and UTN have a good academic level and are free of charge. However, you will have to deal with a lot of paperwork to get things done. Perhaps you need to have better Spanish skills before starting up, or give it a try to see what happens.

I know that in some careers you can assist like an auditor (oyente). You might ask if this is an option for your career.

Roxana said:
I know that in some careers you can assist like an auditor (oyente). You might ask if this is an option for your career.

Translation: "I know that there are some courses/majors that will allow you to audit ("oyente") classes. You might as if this is an option for your major."

Also: by "assist", Roxana means "attend" (not "help out with")

If you're new to the written form of English from Spanish, this might help you. If you've been here a while, you probably didn't need this.

I'm studying in Buenos Aires at Di Tella, which doesn't have engineering. But if you want a general experience of studying here as compared to the US here goes.

I feel like my classes here are more challenging here than at home. The professors are highly educated, most did their PhDs at very prestigious American universities or la UBA. They have been very helpful and willing to help me make the transition, as they know that I'm an exchange student. Their lectures are interesting and they encourage class participation.

However, I've heard a lot of people say they had a different experience at la UBA. I can't personally attest to this, this is just what I've heard from others. They've said that class sizes are generally pretty large (in the hundreds) and that they are generally not taught by the "professor", rather a grad student or "TA". However, this is the case at many public universities around the world, so if that's something you're used to then it won't be a problem. But like I said, this is not my own personal experience. I also know a lot of people who have loved la UBA.

As far as the language goes, about half of my reading has been in Spanish and half has been in English. Everything else has been in Spanish, but I've found that generally university students here are expected to be completely fluent in English. Teachers will often explain concepts for which there is no Spanish equivalent in English.

Also, just a sidenote, if you think that you're going to get around getting the student visa by doing "visa runs", forget it. My university won't release our grades to us until we show proof of visa. I think this is pretty standard practice. I know a lot of people who didn't plan for that, so just giving you a heads up.

Back