Anyone Lived In Rural Argentina?

polostar88

Registered
I'm thinking of coming back to Argentina. But this time I'm thinking of living somewhere rural. Maybe a small German village in Entre rios or in the Andes somewhere. Something like that. Anyone have any experience living in such places, and could give me advice? In particular about finding housing there, and about cost of living. I don't want expensive resort life like in Bariloche, and can't afford that. I'm interested either in a village like I mentioned or otherwise in a provincial mid-tier city that's affordable and preferably close to nature for outings. Accordingly some info about how much I could expect to pay for a modest apt. in e.g. Cordoba or Mendoza would also be appreciated.

there is an expat blogger who married an argy living in Necochea... it's not rural but it is a quiet coastal town. It's gotta be cheaper than here. The blog has 'seashells' in the name... you can find it through Google; she could probably give you some good perspectives/info.

I would suggest a small town within 100 Kmts.ftom Buenos Aires like Mercedes, San Andres de Giles, San Nicolas, San Pedro, or similar locations along the Parana River. These locations allow you to be in Capital, by transfer, in less than 2 hours,

Figure out rent $2000 pesos plus utilities minimum.

I live in a village in the Mendoza province that is not touristy. Something I noticed here is that the houses or apartments for rent usually were not advertised on the web or in newspapers so you have to ask around and make some contacts first. Rent is pretty cheap. A Simple house with two bedrooms and a garden is $2500-3000 here. A modern, nice duplex with A/C is around $3000-3500. Cost of living is ok. Local verdulerias have excelent produce for a fraction of the price in supermarkets.
Lots of fincas, vineyards etc. around. Also the mountains are close by for outdoor activities. People are friendly. No complaints. There are issues with insecurity though lately - I guess because many of the houses here are just to easy targets in the villages - so always make sure the house has rejas, alarm etc.

I live in a village in the Mendoza province that is not touristy. Something I noticed here is that the houses or apartments for rent usually were not advertised on the web or in newspapers so you have to ask around and make some contacts first. Rent is pretty cheap. A Simple house with two bedrooms and a garden is $2500-3000 here. A modern, nice duplex with A/C is around $3000-3500. Cost of living is ok. Local verdulerias have excelent produce for a fraction of the price in supermarkets.
Lots of fincas, vineyards etc. around. Also the mountains are close by for outdoor activities. People are friendly. No complaints. There are issues with insecurity though lately - I guess because many of the houses here are just to easy targets in the villages - so always make sure the house has rejas, alarm etc.

Insecurity in the rural areas is a serious problem in Provincia, People that live in isolated places with dirt roads in the Potrero, get robbed by bandits at gunpoint roaming around in trucks , stealing animals and ranch houses. Stay in the village.

there is an expat blogger who married an argy living in Necochea... it's not rural but it is a quiet coastal town. It's gotta be cheaper than here. The blog has 'seashells' in the name... you can find it through Google; she could probably give you some good perspectives/info.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I would suggest a small town within 100 Kmts.ftom Buenos Aires like Mercedes, San Andres de Giles, San Nicolas, San Pedro, or similar locations along the Parana River. These locations allow you to be in Capital, by transfer, in less than 2 hours,

Figure out rent $2000 pesos plus utilities minimum.

Thanks for this. What is the minimum actually that you could pay within a "good" area of Buenos Aires? I've lived in Palermo and Recoleta before. The lowest I've paid was $700/month for a great studio near El Ateneo library. That was in 2009. Are prices back to that level yet (my apt. went up to $1100 in 2012 from looking at ads, which I thought was ridiculous). Also what are living costs there like now? Can anyone tell me what the ojo de bife is going for at Buenos Aires Grill on Santa Fe these days haha

Thanks so much for this info. I'm considering then going to Mendoza and looking in the places around there. How would I do this? Should I rent a car? Also, do you think I could find a similar place on the outskirts of Bariloche, or near Chile border/Valdivian rainforest?

Would be curious about living in a German village in Entrerios or in the Andes if anyone's been to one...

I love Necochea. It's like Northern California like 30 years ago...I've considered living there.

Just a few minutes ago i was loading up firewood for the night and what do i see??? the usual little comanchero running around on the back of the house ,maybe 40 ft from it,claiming he was chasing a jack rabbit got a little to close and had to exchange words with the young fella....... and yes there was a firearm or two involved in the conversation ,so there's no mistake or more important there's no next time
this time around he was able to leave intact with his dogs ..... i really really hope there's no next time

Just a few minutes ago i was loading up firewood for the night and what do i see??? the usual little comanchero running around on the back of the house ,maybe 40 ft from it,claiming he was chasing a jack rabbit got a little to close and had to exchange words with the young fella....... and yes there was a firearm or two involved in the conversation ,so there's no mistake or more important there's no next time
this time around he was able to leave intact with his dogs ..... i really really hope there's no next time

Lucky you were home and armed with your shotgun..! If you had been out, your house might have been ransacked! :cool:

Ojala que no te ficharon!

Back