Anyone Lived In Rural Argentina?

Another place (not visited yet) in Cordoba is Calamuchita/Villa General Belgrano (South of Cordoba, about 1 hour away). I've heard good things.

I went to Villa General Belgrano only a couple of times, and it was pretty nice. Maybe a little too touristy and too (fake) German. But one small town I really liked in that area was La Cumbrecita. Also very touristy during the day but it has lots of very nice hiking paths with breathtaking scenery. And most visitors seem to be pretty lazy - so if you walk more than a couple of kilometers from the center of the town then you are alone (except maybe for some cows and goats).

My wife was always hesitant about moving out of CABA. She was born and raised here and has some bleak opinions about the safety of areas outside of the city. I prefer a town of less than 100k population, and living on the outskirts at that. She cites examples of home invasions on homes or quintas, and robberies en-route.
I think that the benefits outweigh the risk, and a little bit of prudence and preparation goes a long way in maintaining a low profile. Ultimately, I think that the proportion of crime in rural areas as opposed to urban is probably about the same... but I can't grow as much food on a terraza as I can on a couple thousand square meters of land.
Plus, I can't take the noise of this city anymore. I'm looking to relocate to Tandil or Sierra de los Padres.

I went to Villa General Belgrano only a couple of times, and it was pretty nice. Maybe a little too touristy and too (fake) German. But one small town I really liked in that area was La Cumbrecita. Also very touristy during the day but it has lots of very nice hiking paths with breathtaking scenery. And most visitors seem to be pretty lazy - so if you walk more than a couple of kilometers from the center of the town then you are alone (except maybe for some cows and goats).

fake german? I knew a couple of real german decendants in la Villa.... last name Grunewald...
Although maybe due its fame of german colony they tend to exagerate and overreact... but its true there were germans, at least at the beginning... (there are a lot more in Entre Rios and Misiones)

fake german? I knew a couple of real german decendants in la Villa.... last name Grunewald...
Although maybe due its fame of german colony they tend to exagerate and overreact... but its true there were germans, at least at the beginning... (there are a lot more in Entre Rios and Misiones)

This is what happens when you put "real Germans" in the jungles of Misiones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8NqbfsxRs

Yes there are still descendants of German immigrants - no question about that. I was more referring to the restaurants, stores etc. in the town - some of them were a little over the top. But I guess that German theme is one of their main attractions ...

Yes there are still descendants of German immigrants - no question about that. I was more referring to the restaurants, stores etc. in the town - so of them were a little over the top. But I guess that German theme is one of their main attractions ...
It would be worth it if they served a decent snitzel.

No kidding! That I was hoping to find there! But the "typical" dish that almost all restaurants have on their menu there was Gulasch. No Wiener Schnitzel :(
Maybe it's against the law - because it would make the milanesa look so bad?

Back