Anyone Lived In Rural Argentina?

Holly crap!!!! non stop action today!! just now,a neighbor leaving his place stopped by to ask me to go with him back to his place because he came across a well known cattle rustler heading back to his place as he is leaving.
Got on our bikes and headed straight to his spread full speed with no lights on lol,luckily i didn't bite the dust,as we are approaching his place(1 mile behind me) we see the beat up truck of the previously mentioned cattle rustler taking off,so we cut him off and he had to stop.
We checked his truck and we found nothing so we think it was a recon mission to take my neighbor's hogs ,but now he knows that we know and we are keeping an eye on him.
We suggested to move further down the road to go check on ''abandoned farm houses" as he told us and we made sure he understood there will be no 911 call from our side. :cool:

Thanks so much for this info. I'm considering then going to Mendoza and looking in the places around there. How would I do this? Should I rent a car? Also, do you think I could find a similar place on the outskirts of Bariloche, or near Chile border/Valdivian rainforest?

Would be curious about living in a German village in Entrerios or in the Andes if anyone's been to one...

Exploring the area with a car is probably the best way to see what towns you like. That's what I did when I moved here. I do not know how far away you want to live from the city (I am about 30 mins from the city) or what you are exactly looking for. But one area not worth exploring is the area directly to north of the city of Mendoza: Las Heras (unsafe, ugly). Towns south of the city like Chacras de Coria etc. are nicer but usually more expensive than the towns to the east of the city. If you consider living farther away then Valle de Uco area and the area around San Rafael maybe worth looking into (San Rafael is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Mendoza capital by car).

Regarding the German towns: I had lived in a very rural "German" town on the Chilean side for a while - in the lakes region (10th region). It was very nice but packed with obnoxious tourists from Santiago in summer. The rest of the year it was raining almost every day. Rent outside the tourist season was cheap. Food etc. mostly expensive. It was very safe though.

Tandil is beautiful and from what I saw when visiting there it seemed relatively safe.

After three years in BA, my husband and I moved to La Falda in the Sierras Chicas in Cordoba Provience.(pop 5,000/20,000 in summer)....We love it here.....There is a string of towns along the Sierras Chicas mountains..all mostly geared to tourism.....an hour from the big city of Cordoba and its international airport.....We picked La Falda because it was more modern than most rural area towns....(good wifi/ a thriving downtown, good services......a main street with lots of outdoor cafes, .....We have now lived in this area for almost three years and have lived in three different rentals....we found all our rentals thru word of mouth.....there are alot of temp rentals of houses per day for tourism, but long term rentals arent on the internet so much ..our second rental was outside the city limits, and security was a worry..safety in the cities is pretty safe (i feel safer than in BA) outside of the cities though , I hear of more of the chicken stealing/cattle rustling kind of thing.....we are retired so dont have to worry about working.(probably lower wages than BA)... we are the only expats here, which has improved my spanish greatly, so socializing options are much less.....but i can now have a garden, chickens, and a dog....horses go by the house now and then,,,,,,we now rent a modern house three blocks from city center, 2 baths garage/great yard for 3,500 pesos a month.....we paid 6 months in advance to get a reduction....

I've been considering La Falda (also Biallet Massé a bit further in the South). How are the seasons? Are the rivers dry in summer? Possible to find old houses for 35/40.000 USD (not in perfect shape but I prefer older constructions, anyway my goal is to build my house).

Another place (not visited yet) in Cordoba is Calamuchita/Villa General Belgrano (South of Cordoba, about 1 hour away). I've heard good things.

I've been considering La Falda (also Biallet Massé a bit further in the South). How are the seasons? Are the rivers dry in summer? Possible to find old houses for 35/40.000 USD (not in perfect shape but I prefer older constructions, anyway my goal is to build my house).

Another place (not visited yet) in Cordoba is Calamuchita/Villa General Belgrano (South of Cordoba, about 1 hour away). I've heard good things.

I have friends living in Los Reartes, about 5-10 minutes from Villa General Belgrano. Its a growing area. I mean, when I went to visit, in 2008, there were several brand new Country Clubs, Barrios Cerrados..... in a city of 10,000 inhabitants!! (talking of Los Reartes not la Villa)
There was a boom of all that area, theres a river, the mountains, a lot of german history... it is a quiet, booming city la Villa. At least it was back in 2008.

Landscapes are gorgeous... winters are very cold, then you have Oktoberfest... Cordoba is at 1 hour.

Holly crap!!!! non stop action today!! just now,a neighbor leaving his place stopped by to ask me to go with him back to his place because he came across a well known cattle rustler heading back to his place as he is leaving.
Got on our bikes and headed straight to his spread full speed with no lights on lol,luckily i didn't bite the dust,as we are approaching his place(1 mile behind me) we see the beat up truck of the previously mentioned cattle rustler taking off,so we cut him off and he had to stop.
We checked his truck and we found nothing so we think it was a recon mission to take my neighbor's hogs ,but now he knows that we know and we are keeping an eye on him.
We suggested to move further down the road to go check on ''abandoned farm houses" as he told us and we made sure he understood there will be no 911 call from our side. :cool:

Unfolding drama... I'm hooked; anything else happen with this lately?

Back