Anyone watching the Olympic opening ceremony?

I've never heard so much beatles untill moving to argentina, now I can't stand it.... thought the whole NHS stuff was interesting, if not ironic. Barley 5 mins later facebook was awash with photos and headlines highlighting the cuts of 50000 nhs workers... all in all I'd say it was safa.

genialf said:
Has Buenos Aires ever bidded to be host?
Once upon a time, let's say in the late 90's for the 2000 OG, but of course was not elected.

I think all the stuff was great, less McCartney singing...probably he doesn't realize his voice can't reach high pitches now.
Also the US team wearing that military look...I don't like it.

i thought they looked more like air stewards,.... but I can't say that the GB team looked any better in tgose cheap shell suits

Gorilla Monsoon said:
Part Waterworld, part Lord of The Rings, set to the theme of The Exorcist, featuring Mr Bean. I'm British, and found the whole thing a bit confusing, I can only imagine what the rest of the world thought!

i with you on that one. the whole thing seemed rather bizarre, not like any opening ceremony i've ever seen. it had sort of a dark and creepy feeling. what was up with that big black scary puppet in the center? can't quite put my finger on it.....maybe cirque du soleil?

redrum said:
what was up with that big black scary puppet in the center? can't quite put my finger on it

Lord Voldemort. The section was about the tradition of children's literature.

Bizarre ceremony, but I really enjoyed it. Found it genuinely moving in parts.

jp said:

Bizarre ceremony, but I really enjoyed it. Found it genuinely moving in parts.

Me, too, especially the glorification of the industrial revolution (as exhibited by smokestacks)!

Labor conditions in those days was horrific compared to today, but it is undeniable that the IR led to a dramatic increase in the average lifespan...as well as the standard of living for almost everyone, especially the workers.

(The fat cats were already fat.)

I enjoyed the ceremony although I also thought it strange in parts. Loved it though as it brought back happy memories of living in London.

jp said:

the choice of an evil character such as lord voldemort to represent the tradition of children's literature hardly seems appropriate imho. so harry potter himself wasn't good enough?

of all the characters there are to choose from....

Back