apple - just need confirmation

I realize I'm a bit late to this party, and I hate to take the thread back on topic :D but... I just wanted to offer a bit of reassurance to the original poster and any other Mac users out there:

It's extremely unlikely that you were hacked / browser hijacked. To date, zero Mac viruses have been found in the wild. Only a handful have even been created as proof-of-concept, and those vulnerabilities have since been patched. This is not to say that it's impossible - but I highly doubt that out of the millions of Macs deployed throughout the world, that yours would be one of the first to be hacked.

For years, Macs were inherently more secure than their Windows brethren. That's less true now with the great strides that Windows 7 has made. But it continues to be true that malware programmers opt to go after 90% of the market (Windows users) rather than the 10% who run Mac or Linux.

Of course, browser vulnerabilities exist in every platform, particularly in Flash - so it's important that you keep your software up to date. But based on what you've told us, it's clearly apparent that this transgression must have been caused by someone sitting at the machine, and not by a remote exploit.

Back