Appointment To Renew Us Passport?

nledec

Registered
I'm just a bit unclear after surfing the gov't website.
I need to renew my son's US passport.
He is 10 years old, so I need to do it in person.
Do I need to make an actual appointment for that, or can I just go to the consulate during business hours to do it?
ALSO, does my husband have to come along, or can I take my son myself as long as I have the documentation requested of my husband?
Thanks!

I cannot give you all the answers --

last year i needed additional pages to be put into my passport

i showed up at the consulate...being a usa citizen i was pushed past the crowd to an inner building where everyone else actually ends up too but you seem to bypass some peoples as they are wanting visas to usa. once inside those people seem to sit to the left side which is a larger area and myself to the right side with several people. eventually called to a window where i stated my needs; i was told to come back after 2pm and all would be proceessed for me. it was .not totally to my satisfaction but i was not told i could have had like 50+ pages whereas i got like 28 pages -- not a big issue but i do travel a lot and have five more years until the passport will expire.

that was my story.. it really does not answer your particular needs but in my opinion i would just go there with whatever documentation you have for what you need to accomplish -- if you are the usa citizen you will be pushed ahead as i was perhaps too..

this is all i have to offer and i hope it might be of assistance to you. If your husband is working and you need another person to go with you i would be happy to do so... i am a retired older gentleman with much time on his hands.. helping is my line of work these days

walter

The link below is for the embassy and renewal instructions. It shows documents required and there is a link to make an appointment. You and your son must apply in person. All the requirements are spelled out.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/mobile/passports/apply.html

You should note you will need to provide progression photos of your son. Ideally you should have 6 month intervals but if you have annual birthday photos from his 10 years growing up you should be ok.

It's faster if you make an appointment. You can do it online, just check the embassy's website. You can show up without an appointment, but if there are a lot of people, they might tell you to come back, or you might be able to get a renewal without an appointment.

Had to renew my passport last year. Did it without an appointment. Make sure you get there early. (i.e. around 10.00 AM) And just go up to the window and show them your expired passport. The long line is for non US citizens. Make sure to have a valid CC or US dollars or RG pesos. The renewal fee for an adult passport was around 120.00 U$D.
They make you check your bag & cell phone at the door. No cell phones allowed inside. You'll need two current passport size photos. There's a guy who does it in front of the US embassy. Look for a white Van parked across the street. He charged me 60.00 pesos or 10.00 U$D. I'm sure now it's probably around 75.00 or 80.00 pesos.
Be prepared to fill a lot of paperwork. The turn around time is 7 days. You can have it mailed to you or pick it up in person. They'll send you an email when it's ready.
I picked up mine in person.
Good luck :)

As others have said, you don't need an appointment, just go to the front window and they'll allow you in. They don't allow you in with visitors though unless they have business there, my husband actually got kicked out. :p

It seems like both parents do need to go, or the other parent has to fill out a form and have it notarized.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html
I don't have any first hand experience with this, although I'm sure some others do.

all i was doing was offering assistance on a subject no one seemed to wish to respond to for these people.. perhaps i am not correct but i just gave an honest opinion.... it is too bad all of you did not take the time in advance of all of this to respond to these people ..

i have no need to deal with the embassy at this time at all..

i do hope this family is able to obtain the necessary paperwork

all the best to them

:confused: If that's to me... I wasn't referencing your post and certainly didn't mean any reproach. :) Truthfully I only skimmed the posts and didn't even see your offer to help out.

I was just sharing my experience last time I visited the embassy. My husband walked in with me (the guard at the door let him pass) and the next thing we know the-man-behind-the-window comes running out and we're questioned by the guards.... resulting in my husband being sent to wait outside in the cold. :p Perhaps if he was a US citizen he would have been able to stay, but I'm not sure. The general feeling I got was that they didn't want extra people inside.

Re johnniewalker's post

You mentioned filling out lots of paperwork. Were those forms available online? The forms I saw looked to be for people living in the states. Said to mail them to Philly.

I got them at the embassy itself. You get them inside after they let you in. Lots of security.
The paperwork applications may be available on line but you would have to get intouch with the embassy itself for that info.
I don´t know it personally. It makes sence that they would have them avail. on line.
Good luck.

Back