Are people watching this - could become serious

Davidglen77

Registered
Is everybody following this unfortunate strike of truck drivers and the intervention of the national guard? I really hope that this doesn't boil over.......these types of incidents can trigger a major bruhaha that can last for a long long time and affect us all very adversely. I understand what the truck drivers are saying, they and all other workers have to pay "impuesto a las ganancias" if their salary is over $7000, which is an additional 18% taken out. The over taxing here has got to come to a halt, it's really too much and people are really angry about it. Combine all of the taxes with the ever rising prices and you are leaving the people with almost empty pockets every month.

Davidglen77 said:
Is everybody following this unfortunate strike of truck drivers and the intervention of the national guard? I really hope that this doesn't boil over.......these types of incidents can trigger a major bruhaha that can last for a long long time and affect us all very adversely. I understand what the truck drivers are saying, they and all other workers have to pay "impuesto a las ganancias" if their salary is over $7000, which is an additional 18% taken out. The over taxing here has got to come to a halt, it's really too much and people are really angry about it. Combine all of the taxes with the ever rising prices and you are leaving the people with almost empty pockets every month.

Is that 7000 per month or year ?

Interestingly they are showing it on every news channel unlike another protest that has happened 3 times now...

Things are becoming interesting and scary for us all.

Yep welcome home K. Interested to see how long they can keep this up for.

I agree, really sad the robbery, people just working hard to make an honest-day's wage and getting raked. High taxes. High inflation (like a hidden tax).

As an aside, outer BA yesterday and saw a crowd burning tires in the road, a good deal of traffic forced to turn around. A local told me it was some sort of political protest, not sure of the details.

The drivers union is a powerful one. Drivers make a juicy salary.

So, who's going to the chino tomorrow morning to stock up on food? :)

Argento said:
High taxes. High inflation (like a hidden tax).

And just about the highest one too. Count the ways you get nailed. VAT, income, inflation..:eek:

But it's not just super high taxes on employees. More so the taxes on corporations and those running businesses are even higher. Argentina's simply not an efficient country and their system doesn't work. That's why so many businesses and individuals operate in the black.

Iznogud said:
The drivers union is a powerful one. Drivers make a juicy salary.

Much more than in the US. I was a long-haul driver for 5 years and for a decent company. It was a very cool job IF you were single, no kids, no apartment. I lived in my truck 24/7, had large flat-screen satellite tv, internet, microwave, girlfriends in many cities, and all the new views out my front window that I could stand. Made (in today's dollars) about $2000 per month gross.

Not sure about the conditions that camioneros here live under.

Back