Are people watching this - could become serious

The issue with income taxes is that they are steeply progressive (i.e. rates increase as income increases), but I don't think the brackets have been reset in 15 years. So a bracket that originally affected only the top 10% now hits something like 50%.

The top bracket is 35% for earnings over A$ 120.000 per year (i.e. U$ 20-27.000).

That said, Moyano is a hoodlum, and his union is a racket. Think Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters in the 1960s.

el_expatriado said:
Moyano is much worse than anything Hoffa and the teamsters were up to back in the 60s.

Moyano is arguable the most powerful person in the country. Right or wrong, I have no clue why the government would want to actively pick a fight with him. It just proves the degree of their arrogance and inability to grasp reality.

We'll all end up paying the price.

Moyano is both dangerous and disgusting. A mobster of supreme proportion. He is very likely to meet a fate similar to that of Hoffa and be sporting some new cement shoes............ soon. However, the perpetrator of this good deed is very likely to be one of his own because the Queen is so arrogant and stupid that she can not recognize true danger.
When he disappears don't look in Xtinas direction.
Disclaimer: I am not advocating assassination. I am predicting.

sleslie23 is probably right about this. On the other hand, tax reform is overdue in Argentina. As AFIP gets more efficient at collecting taxes due, the argument that "taxes are officially very high because everyone evades them" no longer holds.

ghost said:
Moyano is both dangerous and disgusting. A mobster of supreme proportion. He is very likely to meet a fate similar to that of Hoffa and be sporting some new cement shoes............ soon. However, the perpetrator of this good deed is very likely to be one of his own because the Queen is so arrogant and stupid that she can not recognize true danger.
When he disappears don't look in Xtinas direction.
Disclaimer: I am not advocating assassination. I am predicting.

If this were the 1970s, someone would probably try to hOFFa Moyano. In the run-up to the dirty war, there were two CGT bosses who were killed - Alonso and Rucci. Both assassinations took place in the context of internal power struggles in the union, and a broader power struggle between the left and right wings of peronism. Given what happened after that, I don't think anyone in their right mind would now consider assassinating Moyano. All of those old tensions still exist (both within the unions and within peronism). But no one wants to start that fight again. Or at least I hope not.

I think its been pretty clear for some time that Moyano has major political aspirations. You hear a little less about it now than was the case a year or two ago, but my bet is that he still feels he has a shot. It seems he is working his relationship with Scioli to that end. It has always been my impression that he sees himself as Argentina's version of Lula. Clearly he couldn't carry Lula's jock.

While I wouldn't want to be an apologist for CFK, she's often between a rock and a hard place with Moyano and the the CGT. A lot of brinksmanship to contend with, and often with no easy answers. One of those age old Peronist in the trenches battles.

Davidglen77 said:
Is everybody following this unfortunate strike of truck drivers and the intervention of the national guard? I really hope that this doesn't boil over.......these types of incidents can trigger a major bruhaha that can last for a long long time and affect us all very adversely. I understand what the truck drivers are saying, they and all other workers have to pay "impuesto a las ganancias" if their salary is over $7000, which is an additional 18% taken out. The over taxing here has got to come to a halt, it's really too much and people are really angry about it. Combine all of the taxes with the ever rising prices and you are leaving the people with almost empty pockets every month.

CK and this clown she has as the Pres of the Central Bank HAVE to tax like this and probably even 'higher.' If they do not 'tax out' the huge amounts of currency they are flooding the market with the inflation will start going the way of the Wiemar Republic, Zimbabwe, etc.......

These are the unavoidable pitfalls of reckless monetary policy with every fiat currency in history. There has never, in WORLD HISTORY, been a fiat currency that has lasted more than 100 years. Argentina's pattern is about every 10 years...

We're right on schedule....

TC

Things are getting interesting here. If the unions openly rebel against CFK, she won't have any allies left.

Scioli is rebelling, the other governors can only be kept in line with treasury funds (not much left there), now the unions are in revolt. CFK never had the middle/upper classes on her side and if she loses the working class, who does that leave?

CFK is going to have a hard 2012. Unless her viviendas plan materializes quickly, she's on the way out. She's running out of allies and I don't think the Cámpora kids are going to be able to hold on to power for her.

el_expatriado said:
Things are getting interesting here. If the unions openly rebel against CFK, she won't have any allies left.

Scioli is rebelling, the other governors can only be kept in line with treasury funds (not much left there), now the unions are in revolt. CFK never had the middle/upper classes on her side and if she loses the working class, who does that leave?

CFK is going to have a hard 2012. Unless her viviendas plan materializes quickly, she's on the way out. She's running out of allies and I don't think the Cámpora kids are going to be able to hold on to power for her.

This was probably only a matter of time after Nestor shrugged off his mortal coil. Say what you will about him, but he was a master at navigating through these kinds of messes. Once CFK brought Campora into the fold, and started a steady elimination and discrediting of the "old boy" network, the writing was on the wall.

Back