Are these things true?

BA4me

Registered
I am currently in Buenos Aires for the first time. This city is quite impressive. But since I may be coming to live here for a year or more I am doing research on the city and the country and I am seeing so many negative things? Are these things true? I know that there are tons of crazy stories on the internet but is there any truth to this stuff?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/governm...sts-m/argentina-tourists-murdered-l-33f51.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/federal...hner/cristina-kirchner-cristina-kir-dc9b0.htm

Some tourists were murdered, yes. The important word here is "some". Each person is important, so if you ask if this is bad, it is. If you ask if there is a significantly statistical chance of being murdered as a tourist in Argentina, the answer is no. Now, somebody should call the police about those websites, at least to check if there is a crazy terrorist group behind them.

jp said:
Both articles are ridiculous. But there's a few facts hidden in there.

Can you tell me which things are ridiculous and which things if any are true? Have foreigners really been murdered here? Is it that common?

The first article should not even be considered.

This is a city, so people will get murdered, just as in every other city in the world. The murder rate here is better than that of Washington D.C.

And a few of the murders that take place a bound to be foreigners, given how many live or visit here. But no, there is no state-sanctioned mass murdering or raping of foreigners in this city.

There are places where it is not safe, places where you should not go. There are places that should never be considered safe. But use your head and keep your eyes open and you'll most likely be fine. We've had a few close calls. But at night, I feel far safer here than I have ever felt in DC at night.

The second article is just a rant about the president. Here is what you need to know. Most honest people with money don't like her, and she doesn't like them. The president's support base is from the poor people, many of whom receive favors if they vote for her.

And yes, the president and her goonies are running this country this country straight into the ground.

BA4me said:
Can you tell me which things are ridiculous and which things if any are true? Have foreigners really been murdered here? Is it that common?

Tourists have been murdered. But its not a local custom, or a sinister government plot enforced by a cannibal president who rules from a palace built from the skulls of her victims.

Its a silly website, check whatever the state department or foreign office of your country says about Argentina if you're worried.

Back