Are You A Potential Vigilante?

Someone stole your iPad, the Mob catches him, do you kick him in the nuts?

• Yes, I'd give him a swift kick.

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No, I'd attempt to calm the mob down and call the police.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Neither, I find it hard to take a stand on principle.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity, would any of you Charles Bronsons also be into kicking the crap out of the board of directors of Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, or is it just petty crime that you want to punish? Seeing how they steal much more by a longshot and are even less likely to get jail time.

Just have the moto-chorros take a sip of the "mate tea" hand them to sip without putting any sugar, just have them sip the bitter mate..

Just out of curiosity, would any of you Charles Bronsons also be into kicking the crap out of the board of directors of Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, or is it just petty crime that you want to punish? Seeing how they steal much more by a longshot and are even less likely to get jail time.
I'm in favor of changing the law so financial crimes involving a large amount of money be a capital crime. A guillotine on Wall St. is long overdue.

I'm in favor of changing the law so financial crimes involving a large amount of money be a capital crime. A guillotine on Wall St. is long overdue.

That would require lawmakers to be into shooting their own foot. What would be a huge amount? Some states btw haven't updated their laws and consider anything over 250 to be grand larceny.

Jean Rostand once said "Kill one man, you'll be a murderer - Kill thousands, you'll be a conqueror - Kill them all, you'll be God"

The same could be applied that way "Steal a purse, you'll be a negro de mierda - Steal thousands of pesos, you'll be a vivo de la clase media - Steal millions of dollars, you'll be a politico"

...steal hundreds of millions, and you get a $25,000 Rolex and a nice pink house downtown.

This major but common error in basic math goes a long way to prove my point. As corrupt as the Kirchners are, the opposition lists their net worth in the ARS 89 million range, ie around USD 9 million. As far as I know, even the most corrupt Argentine presidents (eg Menem) are not credibly accused of having stolen "hundreds of millions". In world history, you may find a small handful of politicians such as Suharto or Mobutu who may get into the hundreds of millions neighbourhood, but that is rare.

On the other hand, banks such as Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, whose business plan is 100% based on recurring government bailouts, cost approximately USD 29 trillion in the most recent crisis. Not to be pedantic, but 100 million = 1/10,000th of 1 trillion. It's not just a different ballpark or a different zip code, it's a whole 'nuther universe. Yet if you look at the "crime" threads here, or in most public discourse in general, it's completely backwards: 1st complain about the motochorros, then complain about the politicians, and maybe once in a blue moon a passing comment about the people actually committing major larceny against all of us.

The fact that you switched the conversation to political corruption and then completely overestimated it by a factor of 100 is exceedingly common but also quite telling.

This major but common error in basic math goes a long way to prove my point. As corrupt as the Kirchners are, the opposition lists their net worth in the ARS 89 million range, ie around USD 9 million. As far as I know, even the most corrupt Argentine presidents (eg Menem) are not credibly accused of having stolen "hundreds of millions". In world history, you may find a small handful of politicians such as Suharto or Mobutu who may get into the hundreds of millions neighbourhood, but that is rare.

On the other hand, banks such as Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, whose business plan is 100% based on recurring government bailouts, cost approximately USD 29 trillion in the most recent crisis. Not to be pedantic, but 100 million = 1/10,000th of 1 trillion. It's not just a different ballpark or a different zip code, it's a whole 'nuther universe. Yet if you look at the "crime" threads here, or in most public discourse in general, it's completely backwards: 1st complain about the motochorros, then complain about the politicians, and maybe once in a blue moon a passing comment about the people actually committing major larceny against all of us.

The fact that you switched the conversation to political corruption and then completely overestimated it by a factor of 100 is exceedingly common but also quite telling.
I would be very happy to kick Goldman et al balls clear into the next universe. Are you offering a clean shot? Wall Street as it exists must be stopped. They have passed unproductive and graduated in to outright criminals.

Back