Are You A Potential Vigilante?

Someone stole your iPad, the Mob catches him, do you kick him in the nuts?

• Yes, I'd give him a swift kick.

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No, I'd attempt to calm the mob down and call the police.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Neither, I find it hard to take a stand on principle.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This major but common error in basic math goes a long way to prove my point. As corrupt as the Kirchners are, the opposition lists their net worth in the ARS 89 million range, ie around USD 9 million. As far as I know, even the most corrupt Argentine presidents (eg Menem) are not credibly accused of having stolen "hundreds of millions". In world history, you may find a small handful of politicians such as Suharto or Mobutu who may get into the hundreds of millions neighbourhood, but that is rare.

On the other hand, banks such as Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, whose business plan is 100% based on recurring government bailouts, cost approximately USD 29 trillion in the most recent crisis. Not to be pedantic, but 100 million = 1/10,000th of 1 trillion. It's not just a different ballpark or a different zip code, it's a whole 'nuther universe. Yet if you look at the "crime" threads here, or in most public discourse in general, it's completely backwards: 1st complain about the motochorros, then complain about the politicians, and maybe once in a blue moon a passing comment about the people actually committing major larceny against all of us.

The fact that you switched the conversation to political corruption and then completely overestimated it by a factor of 100 is exceedingly common but also quite telling.

Well you sound repetitive ad nauseam, :D almost like Mr. Ajo in your crusade against corporate Amerika bueno es lo que hay!

Well you sound repetitive ad nauseam, :Dalmost like Mr. Ajo in your crusade against corporate Amerika bueno es lo que hay!

Here's the way I calculate it Rich: if we were to actually be honest about wanting the rule of law to be applied, then for every post about a motorchorro stealing $500 there should be at least 58 billion posts on bankers stealing (literally: do the math).

I can't do it all on my own, but I am going to do my part, ad nauseum.

Large financial crimes cause much greater damage to the general public than do petty crime. That's why I proposed the death penalty for the large financial criminal (say $10 million plus) and just a kick in the yam bags for the motochorro. If the former seems excessive, businessmen and officials in China have been put to death for corruption and financial crimes and their economy seems to be doing pretty well.

Given the fact that the government won't imprison Motochorros, it's your duty as a resident or a visitor of Argentina to throw a few kicks to their swamp nuts.

Large financial crimes cause much greater damage to the general public than do petty crime. That's why I proposed the death penalty for the large financial criminal (say $10 million plus) and just a kick in the yam bags for the motochorro.

That sounds very fair!

And just a public whipping for the ones who evade taxes! (about 50% of the GDP?)

Reactions: Joe
That sounds very fair!

And just a public whipping for the ones who evade taxes! (about 50% of the GDP?)
Holy Cow! I can't write the whole criminal code! Between the $10 Million dollar crime and the kick to the yam bags are a linear progression of offenses. For example tax evasion could result in the forfeiture of property or even imprisonment.

Holy Cow! I can't write the whole criminal code! Between the $10 Million dollar crime and the kick to the yam bags are a linear progression of offenses. For example tax evasion could result in the forfeiture of property or even imprisonment.

Ach, zis zounds very richtig to me!

China have been put to death for corruption and financial crimes and their economy seems to be doing pretty well.

Are they not in the biggest bubble ever, that could pop any day and destroy the world economy?

The fact that you switched the conversation to political corruption and then completely overestimated it by a factor of 100 is exceedingly common but also quite telling.

You're absolutely right, Mr Rooney...it says loads about having a frigging sense of humor. Decaf, perhaps?

Back