Argentina: A Paradise For Retirees?

I jump at the use of YOU all the time. In my native language it is never used unless about the other person in the conversation.

One has to learn how to interpret a language in all its nuances. It's a lifetime work.

I jump at the use of YOU all the time. In my native language it is never used unless about the other person in the conversation.

One has to learn how to interpret a language in all its nuances. It's a lifetime work.

But it is a beautiful work ;)
I have been studying English on my own since I was 19 y.o. I consider it a privilege... being able to get all the news in English, watch English movies, etc. Not to mention being able to hang out with foreigners like me in Argentina, I remember on my first weeks here I was constantly trying to speak in English and rejecting Spanish, also because I write and read in English every single day, and introducing another language was just too confusing.

In Italy everything is in Italian, they dub every movie and translate every book, it is not like in Sweden where you get BBC channels with subtitles in 8 languages!

I fell in love with the city and its people during five visits, long before Buenos Aires was considered a tourist destination, let alone one for retirement. I moved here when there was no expat community.

The article states the truth about the city. So what if it's fluff? The expats who focus on the negatives of Argentina are free to leave at any time.

I live comfortably in my own apartment on my social security benefits. I would be paying rent and have to work if I was in the USA. Buenos Aires IS a place to consider retirement. I attend free concerts here all the time, something you can't find in the USA or Europe. And then there's tango....

I also love argentina.... I just have seen so many of these type of articles.. I wish they contained more meat and less fat........ the usual articles talking of tango and how you can have a great steak wine dinner for 20 dollars and almost everyone speaks english etc etc.... just gets boring to me after 10 years of reading them....

but I also love argentina.... it is just i think some of these type of articles mislead people..... we see it all the time on this site....... if you were talking about real retirement you would include cost of health insurance... the dollar restrictions....banking restrictions, the control or lack of imported goods.. and much more about the inflation etc etc ..... well my 2 centavos... cheers

Argsteve, Your comments are true. A retiree may fall in love with Buenos Aires however settling into life in Argentina is not nearly as easy as it is in places like Panama or Mexico where the governments encourage Americans to retire and invest their money. Aside from the visa issue, there will be the uncertainties of constantly changing laws, draconian currency restrictions, severe inflation, not knowing from one day to the next what one's money will be worth, the cost of 65+ health insurance which even at the blue rate can not be cheap (and is largely covered by Medicare in the US) . I'd like to know how Jan gets her Social Security payments. If from an ATM machine she will get the official rate with fees on both ends. These and many other things are the realities. Just how wonderful BA is, depends to a large extent on the perception of the individual. If he/she likes the place then fine but the retiree will have to learn how to deal with the complications of life in an unstable country in ways that he or she would not have to in a country like the US. If buying property is part of the scenario, it could be hard to get out if things didn't work out in BA. Having made quite a few trips to retirement areas in Mexico (Ajijic and San Miguel d'Allende) I'd say that BA has nothing similar to offer in terms of a stable and tight-knit expat retirement community. You are really on your own in BA. if that works, fine but a potential BA retiree should not take the article reprinted here too seriously without some very careful investigation

Argsteve, Your comments are true. A retiree may fall in love with Buenos Aires however settling into life in Argentina is not nearly as easy as it is in places like Panama or Mexico where the governments encourage Americans to retire and invest their money. Aside from the visa issue, there will be the uncertainties of constantly changing laws, draconian currency restrictions, severe inflation, not knowing from one day to the next what one's money will be worth, the cost of 65+ health insurance which even at the blue rate can not be cheap (and is largely covered by Medicare in the US) . I'd like to know how Jan gets her Social Security payments. If from an ATM machine she will get the official rate with fees on both ends. These and many other things are the realities. Just how wonderful BA is, depends to a large extent on the perception of the individual. If he/she likes the place then fine but the retiree will have to learn how to deal with the complications of life in an unstable country in ways that he or she would not have to in a country like the US. If buying property is part of the scenario, it could be hard to get out if things didn't work out in BA. Having made quite a few trips to retirement areas in Mexico (Ajijic and San Miguel d'Allende) I'd say that BA has nothing similar to offer in terms of a stable and tight-knit expat retirement community. You are really on your own in BA. if that works, fine but a potential BA retiree should not take the article reprinted here too seriously without some very careful investigation
All this is BS. Just because a person is 60+ does not make her/him stupid. T and I are retired and live here most of the year. We own our our apartment, have a bank account, change money and can chew gum at the same time, and have health insurance too!
Just my 2 pesos.
N

No age group has a monopoly on stupid. Anyone of any age deciding on a retirement location based on this or any article without visiting before hand and researching would be dumb. I recall an article about some expats suffering in France and relying on local food parcels because they had bought a property online and decided to up sticks without ever having seen it....they simply decided to become a French expat after watching a programme called Place in the Sun. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I attend free concerts here all the time, something you can't find in the USA or Europe.

No free concerts in the U.S. or Europe, huh? I have always been a fan of the accessible cultural offerings in Buenos Aires, but that is a ridiculous statement.

And yes, this is just one of a billion stupid articles about Argentina that barely scratches the surface. What else is new?

Back