Argentina: A Paradise For Retirees?

According to International Living . Panama, Belize and Ecuador are ahead of Buenos Aires..! Even Montevideo.

https://blu181.mail.live.com/?tid=cm_Gfmbapm5BGDs9idZ1yJEg2&fid=flinbox

I ask family and friends in the USA if there are free concerts there. They told me there aren't. I always paid to attend concerts at Symphony Hall and the Opera House in Chicago. I attended six free concerts this year at Teatro Colon. The number of free concerts in Buenos Aires is incredible, and that's why I post them on this forum. One could attend a free concert every day of the week.

To repeat what citygirl has already said, they're not looking. I used to work for the PR company that reps Miller Outdoor Theatre in Houston (every show is free and open to the public), and we repped a bunch of other arts organizations, too. I've seen free touring broadway shows, free symphony concerts, free opera, free ballet, etc. just at Miller and have since I was a little girl. I'm not saying that free cultural offerings aren't impressive in Buenos Aires, because they are. No one could argue against that. But to say they don't exist in all of the U.S. or Europe is absurd.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, you really can't lump all retirees into one category assuming they're going to want the same thing. Some will want challenge and adventure, some will want to lay back and relax and pay people to bring them a drink in a coconut, some will want an expat community and others won't, and everything in between. I don't think this is news. Different people want different things, and turning 65 doesn't change that. The article is cliche-ridden and doesn't bring any information to the table that can't be found in tourist books.

I would not put one iota of trust into anything you will read in International Living -- from experience they will just turn around to sell you another one of their many publications. You need to talk with the people living in these locations. You need to see how people are duped into buying property often through International Living having taken their junket tours to these locations... after a relatively short period of time people realize there is no real life there whatsoever -- people then start knowing their dreams will not be fulfilled thus start looking to see where the bucket of gold really is located. Many of these towns which I could name for you offer very little. BA may have its drawbacks for some of you - for me it offers a good style of living. I am not here 365 days a year as I spread my life in other locations. All have their strong points and times of good weather too. Money drives people to other lands where they feel they will pay less -- everything in life comes with a price. Do we have to give things up - to get other things?

To repeat what citygirl has already said, they're not looking. I used to work for the PR company that reps Miller Outdoor Theatre in Houston (every show is free and open to the public)[...]

I loved Miller Outdoor Theater! Went to lots of concerts and plays over the years. Nice to sit on the hill, get sparked, lay back and watch the stars while the music played :)

I would not put one iota of trust into anything you will read in International Living -- from experience they will just turn around to sell you another one of their many publications. You need to talk with the people living in these locations. You need to see how people are duped into buying property often through International Living having taken their junket tours to these locations... after a relatively short period of time people realize there is no real life there whatsoever -- people then start knowing their dreams will not be fulfilled thus start looking to see where the bucket of gold really is located. Many of these towns which I could name for you offer very little. BA may have its drawbacks for some of you - for me it offers a good style of living. I am not here 365 days a year as I spread my life in other locations. All have their strong points and times of good weather too. Money drives people to other lands where they feel they will pay less -- everything in life comes with a price. Do we have to give things up - to get other things?
The reader must recognize what is biased and what is not. International Living writes fluff pieces to generate real estate and travel advertising revenue. Also retirement seminars. They should be read as 'the best case' for a place. Regional expat and travel forums are much better sources of factual information although perhaps skewed toward the critical. In any case, caveat emptor.

Anyone who thinks Mexico is a better place to retire than Argentina should read both constitutions. Even if I applied for Mexican citizenship I would (obviously) always be a gringo and not admired for it in Mexico. I will always be a yankee in Argentina, but no treats me badly because of it (at least not where i now live) . I did not move to my present location to live in a "stable, tight-knit retirement community, I am the only North Medical care is very good here and the Medicus "expat plan" plan offers very reasonable rates to the age of 70 (still well under the $200 per month level at the blue or the XOOM rate).
What happens after 70? It is usually around 75 that people start incurring their biggest medical expenses. Is the public system good enough?

Thanks

I live comfortably in my own apartment on my social security benefits. I would be paying rent and have to work if I was in the USA.

Are US social security and IRA withdrawals taxable in Argentina under the worldwide income provision? If so, what is the rate?

Thanks

I have been researching this. If you are a permanent resident, then legally, yes and yes. I suggest you contact a tax accountant here for particulars.

Now that we are speaking on health insurance - it seems those speaking are under 70. In February I turn 71. I do not have any medical insurance in Argentina. I know my Medicare would take care of me in an emergency however it might be only in the first 60 days outside of the country of the United States. I would like to have some backup coverage in Argentina too. If anyone has researched it to any degree and has a real answer to the question I would certainly appreciate it. If everyone only has well maybe you can try this or that answer please keep it to yourself. I need something definite -- otherwise it is the constant spinning of wheels approach. I am sure you also appreciate what I am saying on that issue too. Many thanks. Walter

Now that we are speaking on health insurance - it seems those speaking are under 70. In February I turn 71. I do not have any medical insurance in Argentina. I know my Medicare would take care of me in an emergency however it might be only in the first 60 days outside of the country of the United States. I would like to have some backup coverage in Argentina too. If anyone has researched it to any degree and has a real answer to the question I would certainly appreciate it. If everyone only has well maybe you can try this or that answer please keep it to yourself. I need something definite -- otherwise it is the constant spinning of wheels approach. I am sure you also appreciate what I am saying on that issue too. Many thanks. Walter

Walter, I did not know that the US Medicare covers any mal being in the " etrangere". I always took medical/catastrophy insurance whilst in the foreign, if did know sure have saved the extra expenditure!

Back