Argentina And A New "colonial Devil"?

It is possible to stay in power after two terms if you apply what I mentioned in comment #8. I do not understand your comment, are you trying to be sarcastic? Are you comparing Russia with Argentina, 2 totally different countries in the way they act and think and behave?

Right you are sir! and when or if it comes down to it, they will do it
After the beagle back in 78 it was proven that anything is possible and later REFERENDUM NACIONAL of 84? 85?

We are talking about reelecting a President here, are you comparing a Dictatorship that illegally toke power in 76 with someone who was elected with the majority of the electorate?

Again, no one here argue with facts in hand, just suppositions.

I'm actually agreeing with you, you can do all those things in this country thru democratic process,not being sarcastic, just showing you what happened in the recent past .... as far as comparing Argentina and Russia....... well no not at all, Argentina is just looking for new owners, god forbid we ever take the initiative to actually lead our own destiny in this country

Argentina is going to trust China instead of the U.S. The smarter move would be to try to be an ally of both and somehow use the little rivalry these countries have to maneuver them a little bit. Smarter politicians might be able to figure out how to do that, but since we have Cristina and she has put absolute idiots in important diplomatic posts, that is not going to happen.

If there is ever a country interested in colonialism, I would think it would be China. They have too many people, and Argentina has lots of space and huge parts of the country are uninhabited. It's the 7th largest country by land mass and only 40 million or so. I just hope that Argentina realizes that this is China and that Chinese businesses are far more corrupt than the U.S. ones, and that the Chinese government is dangerous as well.

I think it's a mistake for this country to get involved with China and if done too much it is going to come back and bite Argentina. I wish instead of borrowing money from cutthroat lenders that Argentina would either borrow money from banks with reasonable terms, or that they would just not borrow at all. If you can't find reasonable terms, it's not a good idea to borrow, period.

Soon to come in Argentina?

http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21613162-mass-immigration-chinese-people-africa-almost-entirely-driven-money

Argentina has burned through her South American allies and her North American allies and her Euro allies and China desperately needs a huge remote farm to ravage. It's a perfect marriage. Soon we'll be able to see the Paraná steaming from acid run off and BA buried under a Beijing smog. But we will be able to get good Chinese food at last.

Is China (among others) not also acquiring farmland in the US, one of its largest debtors?

There is still not much good Chinese food there either. We have to go to Vancouver, BC for that.

The "US" doesn't lend Argentina money. Can we at least have an intelligent conversation?

I suspect by "US" we mean "the international money market" or "sovereign bond market", they don't lend Argentina money because they don't like the odds of Argentina playing by the rules in terms of repayments. Whether that decision is right or wrong can be debated I suppose, but it's not a concern of the money market.

China's investments are state controlled, they are done so on the basis of need. Their pressing need is not foreign currency, it's food and raw materials, Rather than extra returns, they need the raw materials to help fuel their economy. Argentina can provide a variety of these, they'll take Chinese money now and guarantee raw materials, grains, soy etc (whether they have hedged for a good price on these materials long term remains to be seen) and invest it where they need to. This govt needs to make some political capital out of social spending, so that's where the money goes. Their return (they hope) will come from the ballet box.

Let's be grown up and objective, there are no altruistic lenders out there. China pumps money into Veneuela to guarantee petroleum flows to them, to Argentina to guarantee other raw materials.

I find it highly amusing to watch Argentina, a socially progressive country, welcoming Putin with open arms whilst ignoring his deplorable behaviour. What do FpV think about banning transexuals and transgenders from driving? How does that sit with those progressive inclusive policies?

Not defending the economic system the US has given us, that's another discussion, but lets at least be realistic about the people we're jumping into bed with here!

Ps. No, Argentina has not run out of South American allies. Not even slightly despite the wishing, groaning and moaning that goes on from the pensioner brigade on here.

PPs. American industry and globalisation, pertro industry, fracking industry and military are Greenpeace now are they!? Friends of the Earth is it? Give me a break, take a look at yer own back yard before lumping in to the Chinese. Took you long enough to wake up to Climate change and sign a fcking agreement.

It is possible to stay in power after two terms if you apply what I mentioned in comment #8. I do not understand your comment, are you trying to be sarcastic? Are you comparing Russia with Argentina, 2 totally different countries in the way they act and think and behave?

Yes, you are so right. Totally different in the way they act and think and behave. For instance, in Russia Putin was appointed to prime minister by his friend Medvedev - just switch jobs and basically all stays the same, cronyism at it's best. In Argentina, government positions are filled based on only the qualifications of the candidate, not their good relationship to the president - it would be unthinkable to put someone e.g. in the position of Minister of Social Development, just based on their family relationship or open a new position for the president's daughter-in-law...

Yes, you are so right. Totally different in the way they act and think and behave. For instance, in Russia Putin was appointed to prime minister by his friend Medvedev - just switch jobs and basically all stays the same, cronyism at it's best. In Argentina, government positions are filled based on only the qualifications of the candidate, not their good relationship to the president - it would be unthinkable to put someone e.g. in the position of Minister of Social Development, just based on their family relationship or open a new position for the president's daughter-in-law...

I mean, it's obvious to everyone that Recalde was the best candidate for Aerolineas Argentinas. I mean he has a strong backgrond in...err..being a prick to traffic police?

Back